Coopers Community

Nut Brown Ale yeast very slow to work

RodneyL1

I have made up a Nut Brown Ale according to recipe. Temperature varying from 15 degrees overnight to 21 degrees during day. After 12 hours no sign of fermentation yet. How long does it take for ale yeast to become active? [pouty]

I've had beers take 3 days to get going in the past, I now usually use a starter which generally solves this.

15\xb0 will have also been on the cool side for an ale yeast to get going mate, give it time.

Yeast are unpredictable, you need to brew to how the yeast behave.

Many tricks to getting and keeping them active, temps, nutrient, the amount of O2 present during budding, etc. etc..

Many things affect the ability of the yeast to reproduce and to ferment.

Yob

It has been very helpful to have this advice. I am pleased to say that at day 3 the airlock is quietly and steadily bubbling away. Brewing ale and lagers in Queensland is a matter of picking the right time of the year. Right now we are going through an unusual cold spell in May with temps between 14 and 24 deg. Some short spells of a heat pad at night keeps the activity alive and maintains close to the recommended 18 to 21 deg.

I made this recipe 2 weeks ago mine took 36 hours to kick in. I started to worry and bought a 2nd lot of yeast and threw that in there to be sure.

Anyway I am stoked with the results. I couldn't resist trying a couple after a week and they tasted great but didn't retain much head but now it is just starting to carb up in the bottle nicely and tastes really good. I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

Cheers!

Archived