Coopers Community

Bottled Beer decreases its carb in fridge ?

Kike Gimenez

Hey lads!

Long time without posting in here. So after around 2 months in bottle I decided to put my last 5 pet BOttles of my Dark Ale in the fridge. They have been in the fridge for about another month, that counts 2 room temp 1 fridge temp. BEFORE i put them in the fridge ( 2 months bottled ) the beer tasted awesome pretty well carbed and very good head.

Yesterday I went up to taste one of these last 5 that Ive had put in the fridge and the beer was great in flavor, but it had lost almost the entire carbonation. I havent tried another one to confirm this since theres only 4 left and Im kind of saving them for my brother who got me into brewing and lives in the US.

Is this possible? the longer the beer stays in the fridge will screw up the carbonation ? It doesnt sound too logic for me.

That exact bottle was a bit battered near its tap, could it be a gas leak on it? badly bottled? Has anyone ever gone tru this ?

Is it just better to store them at room temp and JUST fridge them when youre gonna drink them ?

Thanks for readin pplz.

Happy Brewing

Is this possible? the longer the beer stays in the fridge will screw up the carbonation ? It doesnt sound too logic for me.

No, nothing like that should happen. Seems more than likely that you simply had a leaky bottle. I hope the rest are fine.

If you are using PET bottles you will notice that the bottle is rock hard when you put it in the fridge and later gets a bit softer when chilled.

I'm not a scientist (that's my disclaimer) but I think CO2 is, to some extent, absorbed back into the liquid when it is cold.

If the beer was properly carbed to begin with, chilling it won't make your beer flat.

I'm not a scientist (that's my disclaimer) but I think CO2 is' date=' to some extent, absorbed back into the liquid when it is cold.[/quote']

My personal observations seem to support this notion. Also, the laws of thermodynamics dictate that both the liquid and the CO2 will contract slightly when the temperature is lowered.

Heys thanks for your replies guys!

Funny thing that got me going crazy for a while is. One of the first bottles I tasted of this beer was with a pretty hardcore battered PET bottle that dive in a lil bit too early on very very hot water ( LOL ), and THIS UNCARBED ONE was in perfect condition compared to the other one, just slightly battered on a side of the neck.

Anyways I wasnt sure but now all in all we can say it does slightly decreases its carb ? If so then it would be the best practice to place the bottle in the fridge just a few days before consumption to cold crash it leftovers ?

I was thinking of taking the bottles out again out of sunlight to room temp (heres about 23-27) again, for this the better practice is to take them to room temperature again but without violent temp fluctuation am I correct ?

By the way I did my first glass bottles a few weeks back with the Lager kit, all I can say is... Good bye PET bottles

Happy brewing all!

Thanks for reading :D

Anyways I wasnt sure but now all in all we can say it does slightly decreases its carb ? If so then it would be the best practice to place the bottle in the fridge just a few days before consumption to cold crash it leftovers ?

No, I always store mine in the fridge and the carbonation is always perfect. What I believe happens is that, like Hairy said, the cold temperature makes the liquid absorb the CO2 better, resulting in finer bubbles and a more persistent carbonation. Therefore, it doesn't really affect the amount of carbonation, but rather the quality of it. I can't back this up with any science, though, so I might just be talking out of my ass, but this is what my observations have led me to believe.

Archived