Coopers Community

NEW KEG FRIDGE

DougF

G'day all.

I've pulled a swifty and talked the missus into buying a new kitchen fridge so I can use our big old one for a kegging fridge.

Win/win situation - she thinks I'm the ducks nuts and I get beer on tap!

I want to have a fridge set up with 4 or 5 kes so I have a few questions;

What equipment do I need and what brands are recommended?

So can I use 5 old bar kegs or do I need smaller ones?

What is the ideal running temp to run the fridge at if I have it filled with 4 or 5 kegs?

How long can the beer sit in the kegs in the fridge before they go off? I don't want to fill 5 kegs if it means they all hae to be drunk in a month! (I know - sounds mad doesn't it?!)

Any help would be much appreciated!

- Doug

Hey Doug

I suggest that BillK is the man with the answers you are needing. While you are waiting for his post have a look at this thread, Bill puts in some links.

I too am interested in the shelf life of a tapped keg. I recently purchased a Kegerator and I am waiting to tap my first two kegs, Irish Red naturally primed and an English Bitter that will be force carbed. The manual for the Kegerator says that beer should be consumed from the keg within a month [pinched]

G'day all.

I've pulled a swifty and talked the missus into buying a new kitchen fridge so I can use our big old one for a kegging fridge.

Win/win situation - she thinks I'm the ducks nuts and I get beer on tap!

Good work. The only problem I find with kegs is that I have a bit more girth. It is so easy just to walk downstairs and pour a beer of whatever you want.

I want to have a fridge set up with 4 or 5 kes so I have a few questions;

What equipment do I need and what brands are recommended?

Take a look at the thread that Scott linked you to. I'm not going to reiterate all that again as it is all there.

So can I use 5 old bar kegs or do I need smaller ones?

Bar kegs are a PITA if you ask me and you won't fit as many in there. A lot easier to use the old syrup corny kegs which most people do.

What is the ideal running temp to run the fridge at if I have it filled with 4 or 5 kegs?

This depends on the individual and how cold you want to have your beer. I run mine at 4C and this is fine for most of what I do. Bare in mind some styles have beer at a higher temp. So I suggest to start at 4C and adjust it to suit yourself. I know people who run theirs at 6-10C.

How long can the beer sit in the kegs in the fridge before they go off? I don't want to fill 5 kegs if it means they all hae to be drunk in a month! (I know - sounds mad doesn't it?!)

Any help would be much appreciated!

A keg is like a big bottle only better. Beer will keep for as long, if not longer, than bottles but will mature at a faster rate too. i.e. about 1 month in keg = about 1 week in bottle.

The only problem I find with kegs is that I have a bit more girth. It is so easy just to walk downstairs and pour a beer of whatever you want.

[biggrin]

Don't worry Bill, I'm sure you work it off climbing up & down the stairs.

That is the main reason I don't keg; a lack of self-control or restraint.

I've bought a couple of those 5 litre Heineken kegs in the past and they didn't last long. Everytime I opened the fridge it was just staring at me saying "Drink me, Drink me". So I did!

Archived