Coopers Community

Bulk priming (and stout yeast)

AndyG4

wow... you really can keep spending money forever on this hobby, can't you?

i've just been and bought a cheap second fermenter (27l), tap and siphoning hose for bulk priming. (total about $37, before i bought more brew supplies)

i've seen someone (Bill K i think) post some pretty comprehensive instructions on bulk priming, but i'm buggered if i can find them. (crappy search function strikes again [crying] )

using this priming calculator i've figured out that i want about 200g of LDME to bulk prime my stout.

so how do i do it?

i know it'll just be a case of mixing a priming (sugar) solution and then siphoning the wort through from one fermenter to the other (i'm going to try and do tap to tap).

but about how much water do i need for 200g of LDME? and should it be boiling, hot, or warm?

rather than create a second thread, the supplies i bought were for my next stout (which will be after my fruitier salad ale) - can anyone recommend a good yeast for stout? I've used s33 in the current one, should i go for that again? will just a saf-04 work?

i'm looking for the best dried yeast - i'm still not quite confident enough to re-use yeast. i'm trying to learn one new thing every brew that i make (although the current stout was my first attempt at grains, and my first attempt at bulk priming), so re-using yeast will be next.

thanks again lads.

300ml cold water

mix dex / dme and bring to the boil, take it off the heat and let sit for 10 min then sit it in a sink with cold water for 10 mins to chill it and then into the FV and rack onto it.

doing it now myself... gotta go [lol]

Yob

Archived