Coopers Community

Murray River Amarillo Ale

Hey all thought id keep the whole Murray River thing going as thats where my water comes out of and town i live is located beside it. Recepie for my Amarillo Ale as follows.

1 can Coopers APA

200 gram crystal malt (30 min steep 65 degrees) 6 litres water

1 KG coopers light dry malt added before turning up heat for hops

20 grams Amarillo added then boiled for 10 mins 5 min soak at FO

500 grams of dextrose and can of goop then mixed in and put pot into ice bath 15 mins.

Once was cooled to 30 degrees too warm i know poured into FV topped up to 23 litres and then put FV into tub of cool water to bring down from 30 degrees to 24 and pitched yeast US-05 11.5 grams. Is still in its cool water tub and now after 30 mins at 22 and going down to 20.

Planning on dry hopping with another 20 grams of Amarillo on day 3 or once Krausen has collapsed back into brew. [love]

Almost forgot OG: 1048 but i suspect would be 1050-1052 reading was taken at about 24 degrees but not too worried i know it will be good. [biggrin]

hey brendan i have only ever used crystal malt nothing else so cant say from experience. As a brewer who likes to try new things id say go for it wouldnt hurt might be a nice touch. Good luck mate ill keep posted about this only 2 days in Fv no where near ready [crying]

LOl phil good job must have been big one. Im usually like it a few days a week but after night shift start of week and lookin after 2 kids during day i manage 4 beers at best al week am starting up now though [happy]

Well, wife's in Melb, so I've been playing up a little more than usual. With only the animals for company and loads of delicious homebrew around, it was inevitable really [devil].

Your recipe is similar to what I put on yesterday actually.

Coopers APA

1.5kg TC Wheat Malt (never used this before)

125g Dex

200g Crystal, cracked and steeped for 30min

Did a wee boil to make the house smell luverly [love]

15g Amarillo @ 5min

15g Amarillo @ flame out

Plan to dry hop with some more when the clouds subside, first time with Amarillo, and the smell was enough to make me want to keep adding more.

Hoping for awesomness.

Thats the way always good to play up while home alone i havent had that privelage for a while. I have been getting too many random shifts lately so getting a chance to stockpile at least. If i didnt have to replace an engine i would buy a Tee Pee and sit in it drunk with a fire all winter [love]

yes i would add maby another 20 or 25 grams of amarillo dry hop good idea after a month in bottle be very nice

1 can Coopers APA

200 gram crystal malt (30 min steep 65 degrees) 6 litres water

1 KG coopers light dry malt added before turning up heat for hops

20 grams Amarillo added then boiled for 10 mins 5 min soak at FO

500 grams of dextrose and can of goop then mixed in and put pot into ice bath 15 mins.

i plan on making a very, very similar brew later this week - using the 1.5kg light liquid malt can, minus the dex, and with amarillo as well as cascade for flavour and aroma. i'm even using the same yeast.

it's based on the fruit salad ale... but hopefully a little fruiter

Hey Andy yeah i like US-05 but i dont think this one is going to well has had a good Krausen since early yesterday but isnt showing much other activity at all ive got it on 22 steadily hoping would pick up. Almost like it has stalled i might have pitched at higher temp than thought. Oh well im sure will be fine im just used to it bubbling like crazy by now i might have to start using clingwrap so it doesnt become an issue [lol]

Brendan good job on the brew sounds great ill be ordering some wheat malt with my next Order wednesday as i have also heard for the small amounts used shits over grain for head retention and smoothness.

Looking through the lid with light on can still see that Krausen is nice and puffy but strange no airlock activity. I know people say not to go by it but when everybrew you do it bubbles like crazy between day 2 and 4 and then doesnt one time its a bit anoying.

Hell yes. Been using clingwrap for years. Being able to see what your beer is doing saves a lot of confusion.

From foam to bubbles to clear pond - you can visibly see each stage. Bam.

So what sort of fermenter are you using Phil?

Just thinking cling wrap wouldn't cover my fermenter [annoyed]

I use the tall narrow ones from LHBS for most brews, but still have one of the older short Coopers ones which is going to be my secondary from now on.

Cling wrap fits fine over old Coopers fermenter, but needs s second layer crossed over the top to keep a seal on tall narrow ones.

I use the O ring from inside the lid to hold it down, and if it's a vigorous fermentation I sometimes poke a hole with a pin, but I don't know how necessary that is.

From what I've seen though, the newer Coopers fermenters have see through lids anyhoo, so no probs there [biggrin]

I've always been a bit too curious about what's really going on in there and like to sit and watch it [love]

EDIT - that last bit sounds pretty sad now that I've read it back to myself

Nothing sad about that phil same reason as i like the airlock get to hear and smell my success as it brews. Also by turning the light on i can see through the top of the lid well enough.\\

Ill take a gravity reading on this tomorrow but i think she may be going on the lawn. I may have piched yeast closer to 30 and ruined it. The sticker said 24 but i think due to cold water cooling the outside before all the way through the wort it was too hot. I was thinking of pitching a second packet but it may have already got too many bad bugs. [crying]

Archived