Coopers Community

How to heat PET Bottles for carbonation?

Evil Clown

I live in a high elevation cool climate area and now that the temperature is starting to fall I am now starting to have trouble getting my PET bottles above 18C for carbonation in the dark cupboard I keep them in. Looking for ideas to raise the temperature in a safe affordable manor. The cupboard is only getting to around 16C now and will keep dropping as winter looms closer. How I'm looking forward to the frosty -13C mornings [crying]

Would a 25Watt home brew brewing pad with the PET bottles sitting on top of it in the cupboard work and would it be safe? Or does anyone have any other ideas or methods on how to raise the temperature?

I saw a guy in Canada use christmas tree lights' date=' he put all his bottles in a closed box and zig zagged the lights around them, he controlled the heat by removing/adding bulbs[/quote']

Gotta love CraigTube [cool]

Yeah same. His videos is what got me into brewing. I occasionally watch hit live cast but missed last weekend when he lost a whole keg of beer because his tap fell on the ground! [crying] [crying] [crying]

Yeah same. His videos is what got me into brewing. I occasionally watch hit live cast but missed last weekend when he lost a whole keg of beer because his tap fell on the ground! [crying] [crying] [crying]

[surprised I didnt see that

No worries on the Hijacking, it actually helped. After reading about craigtube I did a google search about the xmas light trick to heat for carbonation and found the video on youtube. I watched that and then read the comments on the video. One person uses an aquarium heater and pump in a big plastic tub with the bottles in the tub, same principal as heating a FV with the aquarium heater.

I looked on ebay and have found a 300watt aquarium heater with a digital thermostat ( 16-34 deg )for around $25, so I figure I'll go down that path, that way I can use it to heat FV's too if needed [biggrin]

Inside temperature is borderline 18C at the moment and that drops down to around 13C at night. Within 2 months inside temperature will battle to get to around 15C and at night will drop below 10C. As for milk crates in that department I'm lucky as I've managed to collect [ninja] 10 of them, and they fit 16 740ml PET bottles perfectly [biggrin]

Inside temperature is borderline 18C at the moment and that drops down to around 13C at night. Within 2 months inside temperature will battle to get to around 15C and at night will drop below 10C. As for milk crates in that department I'm lucky as I've managed to collect [ninja] 10 of them' date=' and they fit 16 740ml PET bottles perfectly [biggrin']

Sooo you saying this then I assume you don't have heat inside. How do you stay warm?

Dropping to 15C or so won't really hurt, albeit the bottles would take longer to carb.

A friend of mine built a cabinet to store his and runs a Reptile Heat Cord in it.

Yeah it's going to get cold in the house I'm in. It's an old home, no insulation, no wood fire and only a small gas heater in one bedroom and the 10feet ceilings don't help either. Too expensive to have the gas running all day, so will most likely only use it at night for a few hours.

Archived