Coopers Community

Pitching temp

GrahamB8

Every brew no matter how much I plan always has one or two things Im not happy with.

Tonight I made an apa, did a small steep, short boil/hop addition and hit a decent OG, the problem I had was the pitching temp. I usually cool my boil to around 100f and by the time I top up to 23L I usually get down to around 23c'ish.

Tonight I screwed something, I think the boiled water I used to clean out the Coopers tin had at least something to do with it and my stick on read 30 degs. I pitched anyways and put it in my temp control which happens to be a chest freezer so Im rapid chilling the sucka till I get nearer 20, then reset the stat to about 15.

My question is: Is there a short period of grace between pitching and you beut temp? Or will the 30 or so mins my brews going to take to chill going to affect my nectar.

Whilst 30C is not good, if you ca get it down to ferment temps within 4 hours you shouldn't have any problems.... well, that's at least what the Yeast book says. [rightful]

(pg 66 of "Yeast") 0-15 hours is the "lag" phase. When you pitch the yeast into the wort, it begins acclimating to the environment. Although you do not see any activity, the cells begin the uptake of Oxygen, Minerals and Amino Acids (Nitrogen) from the wort and build proteins from the Amino Acids.

It goes on to say...

(pg 68 "Yeast") Exponential Growth Phase (4 hours to 4 days.)

As the yeast come out of the lag phase, they start to consume the sugars in solution and produce C02, among other things. This is the beginning of the exponential, or logarithmic, phase of yeast growth. During this phase, the cell count increases rapidly, and the yeast produce ethanol and flavor compounds. The yeast start producing large volumes of C02 and create a layer of foam on the surface of the beer.......

Given the above information I would suggest to have it down to your ferment temps in under 4 hours to avoid any affect. Therefore, 30 minutes should be fine [cool]

Archived