Coopers Community

another question about hops

Now im starting to get into hopping I am wondering what variety would be good on dark ales, stouts or in general what is a good all round variety that can be used for flavour and aroma on most beer styles as mainly dry hopping for the moment but I am thinking about starting to make hop teas for my brews. Cheers in advance

I am about to POR and Saaz a Redback clone. Hey JohnS40 Care to share youre Choc Mahogany Honey Porter recipe' date=' I love dark beers[love'] Redback is for my son.

I wouldn't be using POR to dry hop. There are much better hops to dry hop with imo.

seems like there are a lot of versatile hops I found a place online where i can buy hop rhizomes in July so I am trying to work out what are the best 2 varieties I am going to buy I dry hopped my sparkling ale with citra yet to find out what it tastes like as im waiting another week before i crack on but it smelt bloody good lots of varieties to choose from I might have to experiment to see what i like as well i suppose

Goldings (including East Kent Goldings) are really nice hops and popular in the darker beers. I've used them in dark and in lighter beers and they work either way IMO, good for late in the boil (as in 15mins or less) and good for dry hopping too. I've used it for both and it's really nice.

I bought a few different varieties of hops and the Goldings was a reluctant inclusion, I was a bit snooty about the olde English varieties but I bite my tongue on that now.

Howie,,, 1 Can of Cascade Mohogany Porter, 1kg of dark dry malt extract and 1/2kg of yellowbox honey (must be yellowbox), as well as 20g of Cascade hops steeped for 15 min prior to throwing in the fermenter made up to 21 litres.... nice after a month in the bottle... i'd wait 2-3 months

Went to the brew shop today and bought a cascade porter 1kg of dark malt extract and went to buy cascade hops but they were out so i was reading the chart they had for suggestions for hops and seen fuggles go well with dark beers seeing as they had a packet of fuggles i bought them I will let you know how it pans out :)

Went to the brew shop today and bought a cascade porter 1kg of dark malt extract and went to buy cascade hops but they were out so i was reading the chart they had for suggestions for hops and seen fuggles go well with dark beers seeing as they had a packet of fuggles i bought them I will let you know how it pans out :)

good choice. i've just tasted this exact beer after 2 weeks in the bottle, it's brilliant. i only used 375g honey, because i didn't want to overdo the sweetness. you can't really taste the honey, but i can absolutely taste the fuggles and goldings that i used in it.

i also used 250g ldme in the hop boil, and added 250g wheat malt to the fermenter.

i can't wait til it's conditioned a bit more, cos it's already tremendous.

Archived