Coopers Community

EIPA - what's going on with this??

SeanS4

Well 3 weeks ago I put down a slightly more adventurous brew than my usual amateur attempts... was aiming (based on advice) for a Sierra Nevada PA type of taste.

At the moment, the brew is 10 points short of expected FG, and has a 25mm / 1 inch dense foam on top, kind of wrinkly. Very thin trub in bottom of FV. In temperature controlled fridge between 19 and 20 degrees for 3 weeks after 24 hours at 23C. Initial foam collapsed after 1 week and left Krausen ring. There's plenty of condensation still, no bad smells, and tastes great.

Am I wrong in thinking it should be FG by now? Does any of the above sound like trouble? [unsure] Cheers in advance.

Black Rock East India Pale Ale

1kg cocktail of mixed fermentables as recommended by lhbs

Windsor yeast 11g (hydrated)

Galaxy hops pellets 2 mins before flame out

Ive had brews bubble longer than a week but usually more fermentables than that, take 2 grav readings over 2 days ... 2 even 3 weeks in the fermenter wont hurt it at all.

I get confused with all these different IPA's, what exactly is an EIPA? (East India Pale Ale?) Ive just been looking at the Brooklyn EIPA and it looks to me like and English IPA with a mixture of English and American C hops.

I know it doesnt matter as long as were producing great beers, I love citrus hops in the Coopers IPA kit which reads as an English IPA on the label, Im just getting lost in these variations and have bought many an obscure six pack expecting one flavour and getting anouther.

The beer sounds nice but if you were after a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale then you may have been better with US-05 yeast and cascade hops.

Still it should be good (if it ever finishes [biggrin] ).

After 3 weeks at that temp I think it may have stalled. Have you tried to rouse the yeast?

Ive had brews bubble longer than a week but usually more fermentables than that, take 2 grav readings over 2 days ... 2 even 3 weeks in the fermenter wont hurt it at all.

I get confused with all these different IPA's, what exactly is an EIPA? (East India Pale Ale?) Ive just been looking at the Brooklyn EIPA and it looks to me like and English IPA with a mixture of English and American C hops.

I know it doesnt matter as long as were producing great beers, I love citrus hops in the Coopers IPA kit which reads as an English IPA on the label, Im just getting lost in these variations and have bought many an obscure six pack expecting one flavour and getting anouther.

Yep, EIPA is East India Pale Ale, I hadn't heard of it until this brew. I've got much to learn!!

The beer sounds nice but if you were after a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale then you may have been better with US-05 yeast and cascade hops.

Still it should be good (if it ever finishes [biggrin] ).

After 3 weeks at that temp I think it may have stalled. Have you tried to rouse the yeast?

Noted, will try that recipe in future. Cheers [cool] .

I put another brew down same time same temps, a Chocolate Mahogany Porter from the same shop (different fermentables and yeast and hops). That one definitely stalled so I did a bit of reading here and elsewhere and tried swirling, then gentle stirring, then more ale yeast over the course of week 2, ended up bottling it tonight in plastic with little/no movement in SG in weeks 2 and 3.

I'm unsure whether to swirl, stir, or if there is a more certain method to kick start things. Lhbs said they would give me a free yeast for this EIPA when I rang for advice... I'm open to suggestions [unsure]

Either swirling or gently stiring is fine (provided it is sanitary) and then raising the temp a couple of degrees.

If that doesn't get things going again then I would take up the offer from your LHBS for some extra yeast. Actually, after 3 weeks in the FV I would just add the extra yeast now.

10 points off your expected FG is a bit high to bottle.

Good luck with it!

Also, if you are having regular issues with stalled fermentation then you may want to revisit your processes. Make sure you are pitching sufficient yeast, the yeast is fresh and your rehydration process is correct.

Either swirling or gently stiring is fine (provided it is sanitary) and then raising the temp a couple of degrees.

If that doesn't get things going again then I would take up the offer from your LHBS for some extra yeast. Actually, after 3 weeks in the FV I would just add the extra yeast now.

10 points off your expected FG is a bit high to bottle.

Good luck with it!

Also, if you are having regular issues with stalled fermentation then you may want to revisit your processes. Make sure you are pitching sufficient yeast, the yeast is fresh and your rehydration process is correct.

Hairy, interesting you mention fresh yeast... despite my big spend (compared to my usual kmart stuff) at the lhbs, I'm fairly sure I was given old yeast from the fridge for a couple of dollars off, made no difference at all to the cost, but might have affected my brewing.

I will go with your advice, gratefully received. Cheers.

If you can get going no need to ' date='but if can't I would at least have a yeast on hand to pitch[/quote']

Sounds like a plan... I will pick up an extra pack next time... am tempted to chuck in my unused yeast from the can on this one.

Sounds like a plan... I will pick up an extra pack next time... am tempted to chuck in my unused yeast from the can on this one.

Fermentation has almost finished so just use the kit yeast to finish it off.

Save your 'fancy' yeast for your next brew.

It's now been a week since I tried to reactivate this stalled brew, 4 weeks in total. I added the can yeast after 3 weeks following a gentle stir, and increased the brew temp to 23 degrees for a day, then down to 20 for a couple of days. Been at 19 for a few days.

There is still a dry-looking foam on top, not as thick as before but still dense and wrinkly. Looks like half the trub is up top. Still tastes great. No movement in SG for nearly 3 weeks. Started 1040 now 1014 (but I don't trust my plastic hydrometers).

Anyone have any ideas? Is it wise to bottle with that stuff on top? Really keen to salvage something from this relatively expensive experiment (by my standards anyway!!). Cheers.

What was your original FG, I dont think your going to get another 10 off 1.014 mate and at 4 weeks I personally wouldnt leave it on the trub much longer.

There could have been malto in your mix which will raise the FG from if you calc'ed it based on just fermentables alone, what was in the mix you used?

I would bottle it personally

edit: I just ran some rough numbers through a calculator based on your mixed fermentables being 50/25/25 (Dex/Malt/Malto) and I get OG 1.040 and FG 1.010 (temp and water quality can affect FG readings)

Sounds familiar [lol]

1014.... Bottle

If you have temp control, when you get to about half way through ferment, ramp the temps up slowly (0.5'c) every day or two, this will help keep the yeast active, its what i do and i rarely if ever stall these days.

Yob

Archived