Coopers Community

All grain BIAB

MattC23

Hi All,

I have run into some issue with my last 2 all grain BIAB and was hoping someone might know what the problem is and what I can do aboput it.

My last BIAB still in the fermenter the airlock has stopped after 5 days not to concerned about this, its now beenn 14 days so did a SG and it was 1030, OG was 1060.

Its been at 1030 for the last 4 days and is still very sweet.

what can I do at this point ?

my 2nd had the same reading as my 3rd and unfortuantally was sent down the drain as advised would probably get bottle bombs ( still to much sugar).

With the 1st BIAB had no probs what so ever.

Now i have removed the lid and stiored up the yeast to get it going again but not much of a result.

Look forward to your replys.

Cheers

Matt

All grain BIAB recipe:

4.3kg 2-row pale malt

120g chocolate malt

850g crystal malt 60 oL

Hops:

19g Hallertauer - 50 min boil

19g cascade - 50 min boil

28g Hallertauer - 10min boil

28b cascade - 10 min boil

1/2 tab irish moss added last 10mins of boil

Total boil time was 60mins

1 packet of Wyeast 1028 (london Ale) was pitched at 22c

also I was aiming for a 22 litre batch and ended up with a 18 litre batch.

Hope this helps.

I say again... phaaaark thats ALOT of crystal..

mash temps were good.. that amount of crystal is not.

Crystal is generally used in the order of 200-300g per batch...

I suspect that it will be a sweet beer,

what I would do is make a 4lt DME brew and boil some hops, say 25g for 40 mins, addidng more at 20, 10, 5 and 0 and try and mask the sweetness with bitterness and flavour... Id also dry hop the shet out of it. 2g p/l, perhaps adding 250g of dex at the end of the boil, cool and add to the FV, rouse the yeast and try to get them kick started again..

or option 2 is toss it and learn from the mistake... whoever told you to add that much crystal needs a kicking.

Yob

ed: Id also be bringing down the grain bill, when begining there isnt much point to trying to make 7% head bangers, concentrate on making a ballenced beer at between 1040 and 1050 and then step up as your experience grows.

thats my 2c and I will spend them where I want.

ed: ed: thats some pretty good efficiency though [roll]

TBH, I think the grain bill is fine. However, there definitely is too much crystal for sure and efficiency I got through Brewmate on this was 68%.

I really don't know what to suggest about this but I'd try doing what Yob said. This will at least rouse the yeast in the wort and hopefully kick it off again and shield some of the sweetness you'll get from so much crystal.

The next brew you do, try a different yeast and see what happens.

Archived