Coopers Community

My first kegging set

GrahamB8

Yay for me Im the proud Ebay winner of:

2 x 19L kegs, Co2 bottle and Regulator all plumbed into a nicely working fridge. A case of skint man who doesnt use brewing gear meet skint man looking for brewing gear.

Ok first things first I immediately noticed there wasn't a no-return valve so I ordered one from Ebay ($15)

Secondly the system is crudely setup to use 1 regulator for two kegs with a simple t-piece in the line but no on/off valves, not sure what to do here, another regulator or just a couple of on/off valves and a jugging act.

Thirdly, For the price ($475) Im not expecting miricles, tonight Im going to get to cleaning and sanitising everything (including the grubby fridge itself) and tomorrow I want to pressure test the kegs, does anyone have a method of doing so.

I have read about wiping all the joints with soapy water and looking for bubbles, what pressure should I have the kegs at for this?

Nearly cleaned it lastnight with Sodium Metabisulphite before taking the time to actually research it first. Went out today and bought 1 kg of Cellarman.

All other tips for getting started most welcome

Thx in advance for your wisdom .... Happy as a pig in sh..

kegs had a few brown spots inside, the bottom of one (that didnt seem to be pressurised) had a lot of brown staining, cleaned both of then thoroughly with vinegar.

Rinsed and filled each with 200g Cellarman dissolved in warm water.

Removed connections/lid and threw in the kegs. Removed all lines and disconnects (inc co2 lines) from fridge and threw them in one of the sanitising kegs.

I'll leave to soak for 24-48 hours while I wait for the no return valve to arrive....Time for a brew [biggrin]

I wish I had of known you were looking for something like this. I could have put you on to someone up your way that would have given you a great deal for new items. Anyhow the damage is done now.

I don't know the stuff you are using to clean your kegs but Napisan would have certainly done the trick. That's all I use when I have to. Most times I just use hot water.

You also could have got a NRV from Keg King for $9.95 (see page 21 on their price list. They also have Gas Line splitters on page 20 for $9.95 each. You will need 2 for your setup.

To check for leaks it doesn't matter how much pressure you have as long as there is a bit. Spray soapy water (or starsan) all over the connections and you will see bubbles where a leak is.

I suggest replacing all the beer lines and you might be able to hang onto the gas lines.

If there is anything you want for the kegs, look me up as I know a lot of places where you can source items alot cheaper.

It's not a case of me being able to get them and you're not. It is more the point that I have already done all the legwork so just saving some time and the option to possibly save a bit of money [happy]

Congrats on the keg fridge..

With the gas line i found it was much better to buy a duel regulator insted of spliting the one line so now i can have two kegs at different presseur.

What size beer lines did you get?

3/16 for both gas and dispense, I didnt buy enough though Ive been reading some people use 3m/keg for dispensing, I had only allowed 1m ... should have read before running out on a whim ... no matter the check valve isn't here yet

Yay for me Im the proud Ebay winner of:

2 x 19L kegs, Co2 bottle and Regulator all plumbed into a nicely working fridge.

Well done Graham

I have 3 kegs that I decided to purchase locally. I managed to get the supplier to drop his price on the basis that I would be back next week to purchase a Kegarator. I may have paid a bit more but at least I sighted the kegs and got to select or reject the ones that I purchased. Also they have some sort of warranty, although they look good I have had them for three weeks and they are holding pressure well. I am planning to drop an Irish Red for kegging first and then a Mornington Pale Ale (TonyW's Morning Town with a short boil rather than Dry Hop). I am tossing up options for my third keg and have to put down the English Stout first.

Congrats on the keg fridge..

With the gas line i found it was much better to buy a duel regulator insted of spliting the one line so now i can have two kegs at different presseur.

What size beer lines did you get?

Trent, you can run different pressures through using those gas line splitters I quoted from keg King. imo That is far cheaper to get buy for now rather than getting another regulator when the one he has seems to be fine for now.

I also have a dual reg on a 5 way, and a 2 way, gas manifolds and would recommend this eventually. However, it is cheaper to go the way I suggested for now considering money is needed for other things right now like lines etc.

My first pulled beer, it was from a stout I made when I first posted here so has only been out of the fermenter a couple of days but I wanted a sneek peek and a first look at carbonation and new keg setup in general.

This brew has been carbing at 30psi for 24 hours and the carbonation is about 3/4 of the way there, this time tomorrow I would expect this to be finished and have dropped it down to 20psi.

Ive gone with 3m of 3/16 tubing from keg to tap and dropped the pressure to 5psi to pour and seemed to have hit the sweet spot for the carbonation level in the beer, it supprised me at how well it poured.

The brew itself is green as hell but bloody tasty, excellent body and after a month or so will be to good, I dont expect it to last long and already have duplicate ingedients in the cupboard.

Thanks for all the advice in setting this up and cheers [cool]

img4183wl.jpg

Good stuff Graham. It's great to be able to pour a beer 1-2 hours after kegging it, even though it is still green at least it is drinkable [pouty]

Unless I need a beer real soon, I usually leave mine in the keg on 4C at 200kpa (29psi) for 24-30 hours then leave it on about 80kpa (11psi) which is my pouring pressure.

i've just bought my keg set up, all set up and ready for a brew, which i started off today, Ihave taken a lot more time with this brew as a want it to be perfect for the first pour ut of the keg.

Reading through this thread has got me worried a little. i have about a meter of 5mm line from the keg to the tap. is this enough???

Im still playing around with 'balancing' my set up, theres a heap of internet stuff about it. You need to find a balance of temp, line size and pressure.

I have a 3m 3/16 line from keg to tap (this was the general consensus from another forum and the kegking website), anything between 5 and 12 psi pulls my stout great, my cream ale on the other hand I still havent mastered, neither the carb level in the brew nor the controlling the copious froth that comes with the pour (it doesnt taste over carbed but Im de-gassing it and starting again)

Someone with more exp will add to this Im sure but Google 'balancing a keg' and read up on keg carbonation and find your own setup sweet spot.

I wish I had of known you were looking for something like this. I could have put you on to someone up your way that would have given you a great deal for new items. Anyhow the damage is done

Who do you know up this way Bill?? I'm keen to get into legging eventually, and the cheaper the better! And the sooner it will happen

i have about a meter of 5mm line from the keg to the tap. is this enough???

I would say not. I suggest to start at 3m then trim any excess you don't need. I have less than 500mm on some of my taps but I have these taps and love them. The flow regulators allow for short line length.

I wish I had of known you were looking for something like this. I could have put you on to someone up your way that would have given you a great deal for new items. Anyhow the damage is done

Who do you know up this way Bill?? I'm keen to get into legging eventually, and the cheaper the better! And the sooner it will happen

It's not that I know anyone up your way it is more the point that I know a few cheap places you could check out and they deliver. When you get closer to the purchase, let me know. Also are you looking for something that is virtually already to go or do you want to do a little tinkering around and make one yourself?

well i guess I will find out in a bit over a week. My brew has taken off, so i'm really pleased. this is the first kit type brew i have done. I made the brew shop throw one in when i bought the set up.

I've never done a brew at suck low temps, but i want the first one to be a cracker, so everythinkg by the book. I've got a little anal.

Bill, I'll be looking at doing some tinkering and Doing it by myself ( with a little help). Just this afternoon, I decided to treat myself to a Coopers sparkling after a big day of yard and housework. On a slight detour on the way home from the bottle shop (I didn't want to walk along the main drag with my newly acquired bottle storing unit- read: stolen milk crate from the shop next door to the bottle shop, I stumbled across something beautiful. A fridge on the footpath with a handwritten sign that said "working fridge free". That's two in two months!! I live in a very generous neighborhood :)

That was worthy of a photo, a fridge on one sholder and a milk crate (aquired is a better word to use) in the other[lol]

I was at a market yesterday an picked up 2 Andale taps for $4

Boom[rightful]

Archived