Coopers Community

Brewmaster Wheat Beer Kit

LordEoin

I've brewed 2 of these so far and the results are quite different.

The first one was kinda watery compared to the second.

The second one was the right type of sweet, and more malty.

i used the exact same ingredients(kit + 500g light spray malt +300g dextrose)

Can anyone tell what made the second brew nicer?

Here is an overview of the first brew:

Water to 23liters

OG - 1.035, temp 20

7 days at 24C with brew belt

FG - 1.010

1.5 carbonation drops per 500ml glass bottle.

Ingredients were all mixed together with 2ish liters of boiling water in the FV

Here is an overview of the second brew:

Water to 23liters

OG - 1.035, temp 26

7 days at 24C with brew belt

FG - 1.009

1.5 carbonation drops per 500ml glass bottle.

ingredients were mixed in a gently heated pot with 2ish liters of boiling water(to disolve the malt better)

it fermented far more in the first 24 hours. otherwise, apart from the mixing and original temperature, nothing was done differently.

Is it because of the way i mixed everything together in a pot first, or because my original temperature was higher? i would like to be able to replicate the second brew.

Also, neither brew holds a head. i was thinking of adding Maltodextrin to the mix (500g spray malt + 200g dextrose+ 200g maltodextrin) . Would this help, or would it make the beer sweeter?

It's a little surprising that you get a different body for each beer considering the ingredients, OG & FG were the same. I don't think the pitching temp would affect that.

Were they the same brand of ingredients or did you use a different supplier?

As for the head, the wheat malt usually assists with a good head. Do you have this problem with other beers? It may be your glassware.

How long did the temp take to come down on the second one?

The time taken to drop the temperature may have an effect on flavour, especially with a wheat beer yeast. But I wouldn't think it would have a bearing on whether it was maltier or watery.

Its a strange one, this one.

Same kit, same yeast, same sugars.

The difference was slight but enough to make me prefer the second batch.

The temperature was 26C when adding the yeast and 24C when I checked the following day and for the rest of the week. not sure how long it took to go down, but probably a a good portion of the first day as i stuck a brew belt on it immediately.

I might have just done something wrong the first time. It was my first attempt at brewing, the clumpy malt freaked me out and i panicked oops[whistling

All-in-All, I would have been extremely happy with the first batch if I hadn't tasted the second one [biggrin]

Regarding the head. my australian bitter keeps a great head with the same bottles, but i used a can the malt extract with that...

Archived