Coopers Community

I know I've asked this before, but......

Lord Of The Dans

G'day fellow artisans,

I am now the proud owner of 2 new Coopers DIY kits (they're on special at Kmart for $55, get on to it!), and also the owner of 2 Lager tins. I remember on a previous post of mine someone had a recipe for the lager kit to tart it up a bit, but I'll be blown if I can find it using the search function! In the cupboard at present is one box of BE1 (from my new baby), 1.5 kg of dried malt and about 600g of dextrose. I also have about 350g each of carapils and caramalt in the freezer as well.. If anyone has an idea, or a tried and tested recipe for these, it would be much appreciated if you could share them with me. I'll even remember to write it down this time!! It's no fun having two empty FV's [crying]

On another note, when I bought my new DIY kit the other day, I originally tried to put it on lay-by, so that the Minister for War and Finance didn't have to combine her portfolios, but the girl at the counter told me it was a clearance item and they were getting rid of all of the stock. Possible revamp of the DIY kit (wouldn't it be great to see a Pale Ale tin in there?)?? Or just Kmart being shifty??

Do you have any hops on hand Dan?

Here is my Lager "dressed up".

You don't have any LME but you have enough DME, so I go with DME, a little Dex and some Caramalt. If you want some more bitterness do a short boil of hops otherwise just steep the hops for 30 minutes. Check for posts from Weggl as well he tends to use the Lager kit eg Whipper Snipper, check the post by Muddy Waters it links to the original Whipper Snipper series.

awesome awesome awesome. Yes, i have fistfuls of Amarillo and Galaxy, and maybe some Cascade as well. Not sure. My freezer is a mess. Theres even a placenta in there (don't ask). I think this is the recipe I was looking for! Now, I have 2 tins of lager, what do you reckon of using them both instead of the LDME? Or am I just being an idiot? I'm prone to that sometimes.

Now' date=' I have 2 tins of lager, what do you reckon of using them both instead of the LDME? [/quote']

Depends, I know that would be too bitter for me, even before any boiling of your Amarillo or Cascade,IBU around 42. I used US05, Amarillo and Cascade in my Fruit Salad Ale, it is quite good although I did a short boil rather than steeping and I dry hopped with Amarillo. Mine is a Passion Fruit Ale.

If you use 1 kit, 1 kg DME, 350g Caramalt, 200g Dextrose and boil 25g each of Galaxy and cascade for 7 minutes and mixed up to 23l with US05 on top you should have an American Pale Ale, that you can compare to LCPA.

G'day fellow artisans,

I am now the proud owner of 2 new Coopers DIY kits (they're on special at Kmart for $55, get on to it!), and also the owner of 2 Lager tins. I remember on a previous post of mine someone had a recipe for the lager kit to tart it up a bit, but I'll be blown if I can find it using the search function! In the cupboard at present is one box of BE1 (from my new baby), 1.5 kg of dried malt and about 600g of dextrose. I also have about 350g each of carapils and caramalt in the freezer as well.. If anyone has an idea, or a tried and tested recipe for these, it would be much appreciated if you could share them with me. I'll even remember to write it down this time!! It's no fun having two empty FV's [crying]

On another note, when I bought my new DIY kit the other day, I originally tried to put it on lay-by, so that the Minister for War and Finance didn't have to combine her portfolios, but the girl at the counter told me it was a clearance item and they were getting rid of all of the stock. Possible revamp of the DIY kit (wouldn't it be great to see a Pale Ale tin in there?)?? Or just Kmart being shifty??

i can't decide which part of this post is my favourite - the DIY kit for $55, or referring to SWMBO as the Minister for War and Finance [biggrin]

i hope kmart near my house has them cheap, and still has them on thursday (pay day) - when i consider that i've never trusted my hydrometer, that i need a secondary for bulk priming, and that i'm always on the lookout for bottles, that's a steal! (i can quite happily chuck the BE1, and think of something out of the ordinary for the lager kit that won't matter if i knacker it)

Now' date=' I have 2 tins of lager, what do you reckon of using them both instead of the LDME? [/quote']

Depends, I know that would be too bitter for me, even before any boiling of your Amarillo or Cascade,IBU around 42. I used US05, Amarillo and Cascade in my Fruit Salad Ale, it is quite good although I did a short boil rather than steeping and I dry hopped with Amarillo. Mine is a Passion Fruit Ale.

If you use 1 kit, 1 kg DME, 350g Caramalt, 200g Dextrose and boil 25g each of Galaxy and cascade for 7 minutes and mixed up to 23l with US05 on top you should have an American Pale Ale, that you can compare to LCPA.

So thats what I went with. Except I used Amarillo instead of Cascade. SO far, so good. Thanks for the advice!

I am now the proud owner of 2 new Coopers DIY kits (they're on special at Kmart for $55, get on to it!)

I also saw them for $55 ea at my local K Mart (i was there to get bottles) so bought the last two kits! AND on top of that, the SWIMBO suggested this! haha

Now i have 3 DIY kits, and a spare Lager Kit. So this post has helped me out perfectly! [biggrin] [biggrin]

kmart near me didn't have any left :(

i'll give the one down the other end of canberra (and not to far from my "local" HBS) a call tomorrow... although by the time i drive down there, it's really not that cheap :(

They would keep fresher for longer in the freezer wouldn't they [crying]

On a side note I was looking for another set of bottles & a container to try bulk priming. Instead of paying about $49- for 2 boxes of bottles & a container from Bunnings I picked up a DIY kit from Kmart. They are getting out of home brew supplies. I think mine was the last one in that store. Looks like the brother in law gets another batch of Lager. I get the PLASTIC HYDROMETER [biggrin] [cool] [lol]

Weggl, get down to your local Kmart [cool]

Archived