Coopers Community

Uses for BE2

AndyG4

my experience to date, and the constant advice on this forum is that using malt, be it light dry, or liquid amber or dark, is a far superior option to Coopers brew enhancers, adding body and flavor while the BE thins it out.

however when i was setting up, i bought a couple of boxes of BE2. i have about 1.25kgs left, and am looking for ideas on how to use them.

the next 2 brews i have on the go are a Cascade Pale Ale clone (an old fave that I can't get in Canberra), which was designed based on a poster at my LHBS using Black Rock IPA as a base. so the BE2 won't be any good with that. (i incidentally wish i hadn't bothered, the coopers APA that i'm drinking at the moment isn't that dissimilar to what i was after)

after that is a cerveza that will be include some light dry malt and some nelson sauv hops. i'm thinking i'll use about 250g BE2 and about 750g LDME. (i'm just trying to create a session beer here, but i want it to have some flavor, so don't want to use too much BE2 - but if i can get away with using more, i will).

so,

- could i get away with using more BE2 with the cerveza?

- does anyone have a use for a kilo of BE2?

- has anyone made any great brews using a lot (750g +) of BE2 instead of malt?

- can it be used as a priming sugar?

i know it's only like 6 bucks a box, so if i don't use it i don't care too much. but it's sitting here, so i'm interested to know if there's a good use for it.

Well the thing is everyone has there own taste especially at certain times of year. I have found BE2 is good for me making summer beers with lower alcohol and body than if i done a winter brew. Winter brews is when i start adding more malt and hops etc.

I have seen many people post about not using all of a brew enhancer like u said 250 grams or 750 grams. Whats the point? its a mixture of 3 ingredients how do we know how well its mixed or what and how much of those ingredients you are getting in each amount you use? IMO if you buy one use the whole thing otherwise buy malt and dextro seperate and make your recepie accordingly.

The reason i like it for my summer brews is its not a bad ballance and beer ends up about 4.5%. I done a standard APA with this came out nice but what ever floats your boat. Im sure you will find what works for you [cool]

ok, here's the idea... an easy to smash session beer, but with hopefully a bit more body and flavour than the standard lager + be1

Cerveza kit

500g BE2

500g dry wheat malt (i've not really used it before, except a little in the porter that's brewing at the moment.)

250g light dry malt in a 2.5l hop boil

20g nelson sauv @ 10 mins

15g nelson @ 0 mins

W-34/70 yeast

to brew slowly @ 12 degrees

this one got bumped up the order because the rest of the beers i'm making are getting increasingly heavier, and i wanted a session beer. also, the brewing time will give me time to 'clear' some bottles.

some questions:

- how will the wheat malt go in this kit?

- is it worth mixing up the amounts of wheat malt and ldm?

- am i better off dry hopping the nelson sauv than adding it at flame out? does it make much of a difference?

- can the BE2 be upped to 750g?

cheers dudes.

Archived