Coopers Community

Yeast clean up

fossil

Hi guys,

I have a brew going at the moment that is comfortably sitting on 19C thanks to my temperature controlled brew fridge.

I've heard others talk about raising the temperature once FG is stable so that the yeast can 'clean itself up', but wasn't sure what sort of temperature would be safe to raise this to?

I'm brewing a wheat beer if that makes any difference.

I'm sure this has been covered before, but the search results produced 472 pages that I was unwilling to scan through (lazy, I know).

Thanks! [biggrin]

I don't know of a set temp for the yeast to do their housework.

You weren't thinking of cold conditioning where you drop the temp for a few days to allow the yeast etc. to drop out of suspension & clear your beer were you?

I tend to follow the idea of leaving the brew in the fermenter for 14 days to give the yeast time to do it's best work. This gives approx. 7 days for ferment to occur & 7 days for the yeast clean up.

Others on here may be able to help you with a temp.

Good to see you have invested in a temp controlled fridge, it makes brewing a whole lot easier when you can just "set & forget" so to speak.

I believe Yob is the one who mainly does this (from what I've seen anyway). He will just wait until FG is reached, then ramp the temp up 0.5C each day until cold conditioning day. So I guess it'll be about 3-4C above fermenting temp.

Raising the temp only a couple of degrees is all that is needed if you want to do this. Yob has good results with his beers, I don't dispute that fact at all. Nevertheless, unless doing a Lager, I am happy producing good beers by leaving at ferment temps for a few extra days to a week. Then CC for 3-4 days after.

Guilty [rightful]

This is the theory.

Yeast will, after their feast, get a bit lazy and want to go to sleep and drop out of suspension, I used to get the occasional stuck ferment at about 1020, raising temps (slowly) at this point, or just after, helps keep the yeast active and Ive not had a stuck ferment since adopting this method. Its kind of an extended D rest.

Is is required? Depends, but as I say I havnt had a stuck ferment since I started to do this and perceive better attenuation, (that could also be the re-used yeast getting used to my needs though[roll] )

I am usually at about 20'c once it has finished fermenting or just after.

Also, higher temps are better for dry hopping which I am also a big fan.

Yob

Thanks guys.

If I cc instead, would I just drop the temp to around 2C after it has been fermenting for a couple of weeks and leave it at that temp for a few days?

Would you do this with all beer types?

Yes, that's the way to cold condition. It all depends on whether having yeast still in suspension when you bottle it bothers you or not.

Thanks guys.

If I cc instead, would I just drop the temp to around 2C after it has been fermenting for a couple of weeks and leave it at that temp for a few days?

Would you do this with all beer types?

Ferment until finished ie. about 7 days then leave it in your FV for another 5-7 days or so then CC for 3+ days.

I would assume that if you were doing a German Hefeweizen that you wouldn't CC, cos the "Hefe" is yeast. It's a cloudy beer.

Beer I know, but making it not so much..... yet!

You can still CC a Hefeweizen and especially if you are bottling as there is plenty of yeast still doing backstroke in your brew.

Archived