Coopers Community

First brew with hops

Mags

Just looking for some words of wisdom before I do my next brew tomorrow.

I have the following;

Coopers Lager

1kg LDME

250g Dextrose

US05 Yeast

50g Cascade Hop pellets 5.8%

What I want to know is being my first time with hops should I just do the brew without boiling the hops and add them at the end to dry hop. Or should I just jump straight into boiling? I have limited amount of hops being 50g and I am concerned pellets may not be the best for dry hopping?

Thanks [happy]

Nothing wrong with pellets for dry hopping, personally I'd go for 10g @ 20 min, 10g @ 5 min and throw the rest in at day 4 or 5, will pick up some flavour and aroma nicely.

Though I will be using different hops I also have a draught as my next brew and plan a similar schedule for it (I will be using a 3 hop blend)

Cascade dry hopping is where mh obsession srarted[roll] now I have hop plants in the backyard and about a dozen varietys in the freezer.

Don't know if I've ever said this but, DAMNATION I LOVE HOPS[love]

I'll probably give the boil a go guys' date=' thanks. When you say 10g at 20min and 10g at 5min do you mean throw in 10g at 15min and boil to 20min?[/quote']

Mags

Bring 4 litres of water with 430 grams of LDM to a rolling boil, add 10g of Cascade pellets and set a timer for 20 minutes. With 5 minutes to go add another 10g of Cascade to the boil. At zero minutes remove the heat, allow the resultant wort to cool some then add or strain the hop wort into your FV atop the rest of the LDM and the Dex, swirl and add the kit and proceed as normal.

Archived