Coopers Community

Pilsener FG

Stanley

Hey everybody. Made a Pilsener 17 days ago, with 1kg dry malt, volume 20 liters, OG 1044, temperature 20\xb0, dropped to 16 during one day and maintained at 15 since. Sprinkled yeast (not rehydrated).

Fermentation started and was slow as expected, SG was 1024 after a week, 1020 a couple of days later, but there is no apparent activity anymore. Stirred the beer 3 days ago, today SG is 1018.

I think I should get it lower, at least around 1010, right?

Any suggestions? (raised temperature to 17 today, but I don't have much expectations)

What was the yeast mate? If it's an ale yeast I'd be ramping up the temps a bit more, I try to finish at anout 20 with my ale yeasts, I don't generally brew with lager yeast so if that's what you're using then please disregard, however I don't think, it will be as it would have gone beserk at those temps. What were the rest of the ingredients? Methods?

Oh and sorry, welcome to the forums mate [biggrin]

Stanley, I have a similar brew on at the moment; I added some carapils and saaz hops too. I pitched 2 x 12g packets of Swiss Lager Yeast (S-189) at around 14 degrees and brewing at 12 degrees.

I would be expecting an FG around 1010 for mine too.

Did you pitch the kit yeast only? If so, that is only 7g so you may have under pitched. Generally you need to pitch a little more lager yeast or perhaps pitch it warmer and leave them a while to multiply before dropping the temp.

I reckon it is time to add some more yeast. Are you able to get a hold of some lager yeast?

Hey guys. I pitched the kit yeast, which I believe is a lager yeast. I suppose a kit yeast should be able to handle the kit, doesn't it? :-) (when not much more fermentables are added, of course; I added 1kg dry malt extract)

Anyway, as the temperature went up to 17, it actually started bubbling again. I wanted to ferment it completely at lager temperatures, but now I'll let it finish like this. It'll be over 3 weeks anyway.

The Coopers instructions suggest pitching at 22-24 degrees and then letting it drop over the next couple of days. I am guessing that this is because of the 7g yeast packet. See instructions in the link below:

Coopers Pilsner

The yeast pitching calculator on Mr Malty suggests that you will need 20g of yeast.

PB2 may be able to shed some more light on this but I think if you pitched the kit yeast and brought the temp down quickly then there probably won't be enough yeast to finish the job.

Archived