Coopers Community

Iodophor does it degrade with time and light

A little iodophor goes a long way so my 4 yr old 500ml bottle is stillin use.

Today I noticed that the 1ml/1litre addition seemed to be paler than I think it used to be. I am wondering if it is degraded and less potent. I added more to be sure.

8 hours ago, martycon said:

Today I noticed that the 1ml/1litre addition seemed to be paler than I think it used to be. I am wondering if it is degraded and less potent. I added more to be sure.

Good question.  Unfortunately I have no idea.  My 100ml bottle is still 4/5ths full.  I got it ages ago.  The only clue is it has three numbers printed on the cap, one under the other: 20180601,  20180602, and 20200601.  Maybe that means January 6th of 2020?  Maybe google can help you out.  Let us know if you find anything.

17 hours ago, martycon said:

I never used it, so I can't speak from experience but the numbers range widely from what I can tell. I looked at three posts and got numbers ranging from 2yrs, 5yrs and (if unopened) "prolly forever". 

On 4/25/2024 at 10:09 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Good question.  Unfortunately I have no idea.  My 100ml bottle is still 4/5ths full.  I got it ages ago.  The only clue is it has three numbers printed on the cap, one under the other: 20180601,  20180602, and 20200601.  Maybe that means January 6th of 2020?  Maybe google can help you out.  Let us know if you find anything.

"My 100ml bottle is still 4/5ths full.  I got it ages ago"  Thanks that helps.

• Like 1