Coopers Community

Temp swings in fermenter

Hi all new here. Just started my first ever brew on Monday. Using the Coopers 23 litre kit. My question is regarding temps when it is fermenting. I did a wet run first to try and get the temp down right and it went well. I was 2 degrees warmer at 22C than I wanted it when I spread the yeast though. So I whipped up a quick and dirty swamp chiller and have it hovering around 18C-20C. If it starts to creep up to 20C I turn the fan on and bring it back down to 18C or so. I know ideally you want a constant temperature while it is fermenting. Will a 1-2 degree swing up and down harm the fermentation process? Thanks!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sean_O said:

Hi all new here. Just started my first ever brew on Monday. Using the Coopers 23 litre kit. My question is regarding temps when it is fermenting. I did a wet run first to try and get the temp down right and it went well. I was 2 degrees warmer at 22C than I wanted it when I spread the yeast though. So I whipped up a quick and dirty swamp chiller and have it hovering around 18C-20C. If it starts to creep up to 20C I turn the fan on and bring it back down to 18C or so. I know ideally you want a constant temperature while it is fermenting. Will a 1-2 degree swing up and down harm the fermentation process? Thanks!

Hi @Sean_O Welcome to the Forum, the brew that comes with the Coopers kit is a Lager but with an Ale yeast to simply make it easier for beginners.

The fermentation temperature will be fine around 18-22c. 

Keeping it constant is important but most of the basic kits are fairly forgiving.

What region are you from?

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Sean_O said:

While yeast likes it steady, a little bit of a swing isn't going to confuse it a lot. If you can keep it where it is, you're sweet. 

Ideally, you'd have a temperature-controlled ferment chamber like an old fridge with a TC but that is something for a later point. At this stage, your swamp cooler will do the trick. Once you figured out you want to stick with brewing, then think about it again.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi @Sean_O Welcome to the Forum, the brew that comes with the Coopers kit is a Lager but with an Ale yeast to simply make it easier for beginners.

The fermentation temperature will be fine around 18-22c. 

Keeping it constant is important but most of the basic kits are fairly forgiving.

What region are you from?

Thanks! I'm trying to keep it as constant as I can. I live in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. I usually turn the temp down at night or when I'm at work but I have been leaving the house at 20C at the moment while it is fermenting.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

While yeast likes it steady, a little bit of a swing isn't going to confuse it a lot. If you can keep it where it is, you're sweet. 

Ideally, you'd have a temperature-controlled ferment chamber like an old fridge with a TC but that is something for a later point. At this stage, your swamp cooler will do the trick. Once you figured out you want to stick with brewing, then think about it again.

Awesome. Thanks! 🙂

• Like 1