Coopers Community

Apple taste?

Anyone with ideas, I would suggest I didn’t sterilise enough,. This was the Canadian Blonde, followed recipe as usual, BE2, Canadian Blonde can, and 2 carb drops. 14 days in fermenter, stable readings, 2 weeks in dark cupboard.

Tastes like green apple, different, bit sour , hey if was in a bind well would drink it. . Would there be any point by leaving 8n cupboard for another 2 weeks to see if change. Or just accept something not right, mark it up as an education and ditch?

Sorry to hear about your brew problem @Moul I mean.  Apple or cider like taste is cause by Acetaldehde which is naturally produced by the yeast when they make alcohol.  Some types of yeast produce more than others and it is most likely caused, in your case by over-stressed yeast cells, i.e. under pitching due to too much a quantity of simple sugars (sucrose & glucose) for the amount of yeast pitched.

It can also be caused by stressing the yeast by fermenting at too high a temperature to start with and forcing the ferment process.  Always pitch the yeast at a low temperature then slowly raise it to a higher temperature and hold it there for a couple of days to let the yeast clean up and finish off as this helps remove a lot of the by-products of the fermentation process.  The higher temperature at the end of fermentation is called a Diacetyl Rest (D-rest).

A D-rest is most important with lagers and less so with ales but I do one every brew anyway. 

I have a saying:  Brew too hot and/or too quick and you get p!ss - brew slow and low and you get beer.

• What yeast did you use and was in within its use by date?
  • What temperature did you pitch the yeast at and what temperature did you ferment at?
  • What other sugars did you add to the recipe?
  • What did it taste like before bottling?  (Oxidation in the bottling process can also cause off flavours).

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

Thanks,

Used the yeast with can , Not out of date, consistently 21 degrees and didnt add anything else, other than carb drops when bottling.

maybe from the bottles then?

Edited by Moul I mean
  • Like 2

Could be from bottling process or bottles.

Suggest you try and get into the habit of always tasting your last SG sample.  Tip some of it into a glass and put it into the fridge for a while then smell and taste it. 

That way you will know if any problem has most likely originated in the FV or later during bottling / carbing / conditioning process.

No good going to the effort and expense of bottling a brew up if it is off right off the bat.  Let your nose and taste buds decide at that point.

Try leaving the bottles for a bit longer and try another one in a week or two to see if any noticeable change.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I have a saying:  Brew too hot and/or too quick and you get p!ss - brew slow and low and you get beer.

I might have the too quick problem with my current Coopers Sparkling Ale.  I pitched around 3pm on Friday last week; OG was 1.053.  By 3pm Saturday gravity was 1.034.  By 2am Sunday SG was 1.017.  By 3pm Sunday the gravity was 1.014.  Now, 9:30pm on Monday it is 1.012 and pretty much levelled off.

I did pitch a fair bit of yeast.  Basically the yeast cake from the previous Coopers Original Pale Ale. 

Also brewed at 20°C, when I usually go for 18°C.  I was hoping for some fruitier flavours by brewing a bit warmer than usual.

I have not tried a sample yet.  Probably taking one tomorrow night.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I might have the too quick problem with my current Coopers Sparkling Ale.  I pitched around 3pm on Friday last week; OG was 1.053.  By 3pm Saturday gravity was 1.034.  By 2am Sunday SG was 1.017.  By 3pm Sunday the gravity was 1.014.  Now, 9:30pm on Monday it is 1.012 and pretty much levelled off.

I did pitch a fair bit of yeast.  Basically the yeast cake from the previous Coopers Original Pale Ale. 

Also brewed at 20°C, when I usually go for 18°C.  I was hoping for some fruitier flavours by brewing a bit warmer than usual.

I have not tried a sample yet.  Probably taking one tomorrow night.

You will be alright @Shamus O'Sean, finger crossed. 🤞 I presume like me you are doing these under pressure which is way different than a doing a fast ferment in a normal atmospheric FV.

I get the same fast results when I dirty batch the 58 L Kegmenter because of the overpitch effect.  Just when I plan to use the CO2 pressure a couple of days after pitching to sanitize and CO2 purge my clean empty kegs, the yeast beat me to the gun, and I miss the boat pretty much and only get to use the tail end of all their huffing and puffing.  It's usually my fault because I am not ready enough to purge the kegs when the yeast is at full throttle.

Like the old timer brewers used to do.  Pitch low, start slow then let the temperature grow.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3