Coopers Community

EXPERIMENTATION

BrentW5

Hello there Beer Bretherant.

I am looking at becomeing a mad scientist and am experimenting with some hops and ingredients to better my knowledge and wisdom in the time honoured tradition of manafacturing a fine ale.[devil] [devil]

Heres the recipe i plan on doing

1X Coopers sparkling ale Extract

600g Dextrose

250g Liquid Malt Extract

250g of Maltodextrin

400g Golden Syrup

30g of Amirillo hops @20 mins

30g of Amirillo Hops @ 5 mins

30g of Cascade dry hoped after fermintation

I was just wondering whether this recipe sounds like a feasable option or whether i am playing with a little too much fire so to speak.

The thoughts and opinions of the Brewing Bretheran would be greatly appreciated

Not too sure about the Golden Syrup,never used it so wont comment.

As for the Dex and Malt, I would be reducing the Dex (200-300g max)and upping the malt to about 500-750g,

as for the hops, Id also be splitting those amounts to include a 0 min addition, 15g at 5 and 15 @ 0min (my pereference only)

In fact Id probably be adding some cascade at the 0 min as well for a more rounded hop flavour / aroma.

either way it should be a nice drop and ther is really only one way to find out... beers of the same recipe can be altered in so many ways by changing the hop schedule... its freaking amazing[love]

Yob

Swap your malt and Dextrose quantities around and 300g Golden Syrup should be enough. However, I don't know why you would want Golden Syrup in the Sparkling Kit but that's a part of your experiment I guess [innocent]

Yobs hop profile sounds nice as well.

Yeah BillK i am just experimenting with different ingredients at the moment, but i guess thats half the fun about homebrewing. Its about having the flexibility to find a set kit that works and tweek it untill you find a combination thats awesomely awesome[rightful] [rightful] [rightful]

Swap your malt and Dextrose quantities around and 300g Golden Syrup should be enough. However' date=' I don't know why you would want Golden Syrup in the Sparkling Kit but that's a part of your experiment I guess [innocent']

Yobs hop profile sounds nice as well.

I just got myself some golden syrup this arvo in anticipation for giving the Coopers recipe "Irish Ale" a date with destiny.

I hope I haven't waisted my money? But to be sure (no punt intended) I will replace the recommended BE1 for 500 gms of LDM and maybe half a box of BE2 or just lower the volume to 15L and forget the BE2[pouty]

• 3 weeks later...

Its Friday night and I'm now having a good tasting of the Irish Ale. In my previous post I thought I would change it a little...but Paul's wisdom got the better of me and I decided to go with the recommended recipe.

15 days later and I brewed the beer at 18-20C for 8 days..then "CC" (see Billk's post for what that means),for 4 days, then on kegging day I went to sample and it was very nice,Golden syrup gives an amazing childhood flavour memory of pancakes with golden syrup and butter. But something is missing???? "Ahhh I know what it is" I said to myself "HOPS, were for out they?" OH there they are in a bag ready for dry hopping in the form of Tettnang 15gms.

So tonight I'm now having a glass or ....I'm not counting, are you? and the results are quite surprising. With the German hops it has created Belgian style Ale...on the cheap but still very nice indeed. [happy] 3.5/5, worth the minimal effort. Thanks Paul.

Its Friday night and I'm now having a good tasting of the Irish Ale. In my previous post I thought I would change it a little...but Paul's wisdom got the better of me and I decided to go with the recommended recipe.

15 days later and I brewed the beer at 18-20C for 8 days..then "CC" (see Billk's post for what that means),for 4 days, then on kegging day I went to sample and it was very nice,Golden syrup gives an amazing childhood flavour memory of pancakes with golden syrup and butter. But something is missing???? "Ahhh I know what it is" I said to myself "HOPS, were for out they?" OH there they are in a bag ready for dry hopping in the form of Tettnang 15gms.

So tonight I'm now having a glass or ....I'm not counting, are you? and the results are quite surprising. With the German hops it has created Belgian style Ale...on the cheap but still very nice indeed. [happy] 3.5/5, worth the minimal effort. Thanks Paul.

I wasn't a fan at first but after about a week in the keg I really liked the Irish. I think I'll have to do this one again soon [joyful]

I not sure I agree about upping the malt and lowering the rest. I think that would turn it into something totally different and possibly a bit too sweet with the extra malt and golden syrup combo. The BE1 helps to keep it a bit dry. It is a nicely balanced beer with or without additional hops.

If other have done It differently I love to here about it

Archived