Coopers Community

Coopers APA with Lager Yeast

Graculus

@Malter White

I've got a Coopers kit here that I was just going to start using the kit yeast, as I could do with something to drink in a few weeks.

I was just going to use some LDME and the kit yeast, but I have some 34/70 that I collected off a brew the other day.

How did it turn out?

Would you recommend making it?

What else did you add?

Did you ferment at a lower temperature?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Graculus said:

@Malter White

I've got a Coopers kit here that I was just going to start using the kit yeast, as I could do with something to drink in a few weeks.

I was just going to use some LDME and the kit yeast, but I have some 34/70 that I collected off a brew the other day.

How did it turn out?

What else did you add?

Thanks.

It turned out well surprisingly. All I added was 1kg of dextrose and made it to 19l for a keg only.
I fermented at 18C and left it for 2 weeks. No cold crash.
I didn't add any other adjuncts because I was worried that it might fail and didn't want to waste ingredients.
Recommend? Yes but don't expect an award winning beer. Don't expect to be disappointed though either, like I thought I was going to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Malter White said:

It turned out well surprisingly. All I added was 1kg of dextrose and made it to 19l for a keg only.
I fermented at 18C and left it for 2 weeks. No cold crash.
I didn't add any other adjuncts because I was worried that it might fail and didn't want to waste ingredients.
Recommend? Yes but don't expect an award winning beer. Don't expect to be disappointed though either, like I thought I was going to be.

OK, thanks.

I'd probably add LDME & dextrose.

I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Graculus said:

@Malter White

How did it turn out?

What else did you add?

Thanks.

Strictly speaking, you can brew any beer as an ale or a lager. Sure, there are some things you probably wouldn't do with a lager or some malt/hop combinations, which rely on the esters from the yeast to bring them together but why let things like that deter you from experimentation? That's what we do. Humanity would have never advanced without experimentation and even if it is only with beer. 

No, I haven't tried it, so I can't answer questions 1-3. 4 would be 13C until it reaches about 1.020, then up the temp to 18 for a D-rest until it finished fermenting. Then gradually drop the temp down to CC temperatures over the course of a few days and then let it CC as per normal. Bottle and give it a week to condition, before you bring it back down to cool temperatures to mature. after 2 weeks in cold storage, you should be able to drink it, if you have the patience to wait 6 weeks, you should have a nice refreshing lager.

Just don't expect it to taste anything like a proper Coopers APA fermented with the commercial Coopers yeast. it will be a very different beer. 

If you asked me, I'd say yes, give it a shot.

• Like 3