Coopers Community

Why does cheap beer taste better in a bottle than in a glass?

Brewkid

Living in a remote place, I sometimes have to rely on mass-produced lager to get my almost-daily intake of beer.

The thing is, most of those flavorless beer brands have more taste when drank in their original glass bottle than when poured in a theoretically appropriate beer glass. It works the other way around: good beer tastes better in this very same beer glass than in a bottle or a can.

It's like the glass is acting as a revealer of the true nature of the beer : good... or bland.

Have you observed the same phenomenon when drinking beer?
I'm curious to hear your insights. Cheers to all!

Edited by Brewkid
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Brewkid said:

Living in a remote place, I sometimes have to rely on mass-produced lager to get my almost-daily intake of beer.

The thing is, most of those flavorless beer brands have more taste when drank in their original glass bottle than when poured in a theoretically appropriate beer glass. It works the other way around: good beer tastes better in this very same beer glass than in a bottle or a can.

It's like the glass is acting as a revealer of the true nature of the beer : good... or bland.

I think the overall experience of pouring your beer into the appropriate glass brings theatre to the overall experience, to see the foam cascading down the glass on a nice tight two finger head is as good as the first taste leaving a lovely lacing on the glass.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Brewkid said:

Some glasses are designed to enhance the flavour and aroma experience. Yes, you can drink a nice Cognac from an old yoghurt glass but from a proper snifter, it tastes worlds better. That would explain, why a good beet tastes better from a suitable glass. The cheap stuff has no aroma or flavour, so I guess it is just happy to come out of the bottle, which makes it taste better than once it is out  🙂 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Brewkid said:

I don't know. I have never done a side by side taste test. However, it is possible that temperature is playing a role, at least on the cheap beer side. If the bottle is colder than the glass it may be that the coldness is compensating for the quality of the flavour. Try chilling one glass in the fridge or freezer before pouring the beer and compare it to a beer poured into an unchilled glass.

• Like 3