Coopers Community

Conditioning question

From what I understand, the mass of the yeast cake is what helps with the cleanup, not too sure of the science, but, as an experiment, why don't you bottle one 2 days after stable FG, bottle 1 after 4 more days and then if you can CC you will have a great comparison, do a blind taste test with a mate and check the results. . Sometimes the best way to understand is to run a small scale experiment and then you know for yourself as you controlled all the variables.

Yob

How long extra after FG did you leave it? I find a week is about spot on for y brewery,

Hey fella's I have a question on bottle conditioning now for my second brew i am leaving in the fermenter for an extra week or two but however when it is in the bottle is it doing the same thing as when it is in the fermenter for the extra period or is it different cheers

It is different. The reason being that it is imperative to have your yeast finish fermenting BEFORE being transferred to a bottle. Then in the bottle is a secondary ferment where you provide just the right amount of sugar for fermentation to start again. However, due to the small amount of sugar fermentation is only brief and enables the yeast to develop enough Co2 to carbonate your bottles.

In kegs it is not so detrimental because there are Pressure Relief Valves (PRV) to relieve any pressure build up. A bottle is sealed and does not allow Co2 to be released automatically if need be thus creating grenades (bottle bombs).

Some people who keg have their practice to a fine art where just before fermentation has finished in primary they will transfer to a keg and by the time fermentation has finished provides enough Co2 for your keg to be carbed. I do not suggest doing this in bottles due to the reason of the PRV's in kegs being a safety issue.

Once fermentation activity has slowed, the yeast in suspension continues to do good work in the brew, cleaning up compounds such as diacetyl.

I don't know of any benefit that the fermentation trub (sediment) may have on the brew?? Has anyone got a reference/source for this concept? [unsure]

personally, only the one experience when I racked off just after high activity and was almost at FG, similar beers left on the trub came out much cleaner tasting (similar recipe - same yeast)... wasnt terrible just didnt taste 'clean and finished' like the other

on another forum there has been discussions about it, but I dont believe that apart from perception there is conclusive evidence to back up my former statement.... but given the time frames we are talking about there is no negative for leaving it on the cake either...

I will try to dig up the conversations.

edit: The experiment I suggested is still valid though yeah?

but given the time frames we are talking about there is no negative for leaving it on the cake either...

edit: The experiment I suggested is still valid though yeah?

One nevative for leaving the brew on the yeast cake would be the extra poop that you enevitably suck up into the bottling bucket if the trub is too thick. This all ends up in the bottle. This leads me to wonder if racking to a second(ary) might produce beers as clear or dare I say CLEARER beers than Cold Crashing[devil] .

I did think the experiment is truly a valid one.[rightful]

[biggrin]

After cc the "poop" is pretty compact, this is not really what PB2 is asking, its more of what evidence do I, we, have that the yeast cake is of benifit to the cleanup activity, which is a valid question which I am struggeling to find a reinforced answer to (ATM),

And just to clear this up, yeast poop is ethanol and c02, one of which we want and the other we need to account for for priming volumes, other byproducts are also created which given the time and correct conditions yeast will attempt to reabsorb, this is the matter we are getting to. . Eventually[roll]

I will find that though, hmm perhaps it was on the bn, damnation there goes another 10 hours[lol]

Yob

Yob I am leaving it an extra week from the fg reading however next brew i might do the experiment and see what its like so far so good 2 brews seem to be going smoothly touch wood my first batch of OS lager was nice at 1 month was ok at 2 weeks so i thought better condition this lot longer will have a taste test in 2 weeks to make sure the OS real ale is good then will leave it to naturally condition after the extended time on the trub

Archived