Coopers Community

Cold Crashing vs. Secondary

Canadian Eh!L

Hi Gang,

I've got a BIIPA in the secondary that I am not going to get around to bottling til next weekend (7 days). I put this one down Jan. 8th (21 days ago) so it will be 28 days before I bottle. I've let brews sit in the carboy for this long before so no worries there.

My questions are these:

Are the benefits of CC achieved by letting it sit in the secondary for this length of time?

Are there still merits to CC this brew?

Would 6 or 7 days @ 4-5C be a good duration?

Would there still be enough yeast in suspension for secondary fermentation?

Should I bother?

The reason I ask instead of just trying is because I would have to carry the carboy from the brewery to the cold room and I would like to avoid the extra effort if possible.[smile]

By the way I have never CC and always rack to secondary.[bandit]

Hi Gang,

I've got a BIIPA in the secondary that I am not going to get around to bottling til next weekend (7 days). I put this one down Jan. 8th (21 days ago) so it will be 28 days before I bottle. I've let brews sit in the carboy for this long before so no worries there.

My questions are these:

Are the benefits of CC achieved by letting it sit in the secondary for this length of time?

Are there still merits to CC this brew?

Would 6 or 7 days @ 4-5C be a good duration?

Would there still be enough yeast in suspension for secondary fermentation?

Should I bother?

The reason I ask instead of just trying is because I would have to carry the carboy from the brewery to the cold room and I would like to avoid the extra effort if possible.[smile]

By the way I have never CC and always rack to secondary.[bandit]

1: CC only occurs when you are happy with the finished ferment and clean up has happened, this can be from 4 days to 4 weeks, depending on the brew in question.

2: There is always merit in Cold Conditioning as you will get a clearer beer

3: 4 days at 2'c is 'enough' but 7 is better (you want it to be sub 4'c)

4: There will always be enough yeast whwn cold conditioned, the only way to remove all the yeast is to filter.

5: IMO... Yes absolutly

With regard to racking, here are some thoughts.. It's not a good idea to rack off the trub before they have finished the clean up. Racking is really only required for long lagering to avoid autolisis, there is some thought that leaving it on trub actually helps the cleanup somewhat, I tend to agree... Secondary is really a term used about bottle carbing, you are racking to a second FV to condition, these terms get a little muddled from time to time.

You should really only be racking for a given reason, like Bulk priming where you want to add the sugar for secondary but get it off the bulk of the yeast after CC..

I rack to bulk prime but before that I leave my beer in the Primary fermenter for 3 weeks and only rack when Im ready to bottle.

Hope this helps and doesnt confuse you too much.

Yob

Hey Yob,

Thanks again. I'll give it a go!

I do have given reasons for racking. I use four FV's in rotation, two primaries which are wide mouthed, bin style FVs and two second(aries) which are glass carboys with airlocks[bandit]. The reason I do this is to allow me to brew multiple batches without having to bottle before I can brew another. The second(ary) FV allow me to store a brew in a safe place while awaiting the yeast to clear up. This method also allows me to dry hop loose in the primary without the dreaded "floaties" as the racking leaves all the bits behind as well as the trub. I can't say for sure as i am certainly no expert but I really can't see any merit to leaving the brew on the trub (poo) any longer than necessary. I think it would clean up just the same. Another reason for racking which I have just recently learned benefits the yeast washing process. It is said that harvesting yeast earlier in the fermention process increases the viablity of the yeast since it is not exposed to the higher Alc. levels and increased levels of toxins(poo). Racking to a second(ary) FV allows you to harvest yeast directly after the high krausen subsides which I would think to be the best time to do such a thing.

There is some concern about racking exposing the brew unnecesarily to O2 and a higher risk of infection. I say that IF the basic sanitation steps are followed and care is taken to minimize the splashing then SHELLBERIGHTMATE![cool] [biggrin] [rightful]

I wonder if racking to a second(ary) is a North American thing?[sideways]

Confused yet?[biggrin] [alien]

[crying]

SHELLBERIGHTMATE![cool] [biggrin] [rightful]

LMAO... we'll convert you to an Aussie yet [innocent]

Oncce you get used to rinsing the yeast the next step would be harvesting the top. i.e. top cropping. [biggrin]

That is where you can gate crash the party the yeast is having on the top floor. They tell me they sometimes get in the pole dancers too. However, I am yet to find one

Archived