Coopers Community

Is my Larger spoilt?

TheWarren

Hi guys,

I've got a Larger in the fermenter at the moment, been in for 11 days now. OG was 1038, I checked the SG 4 days ago and it was 1008, I just checked again now as I was about to start cold crashing and it was 1000/1001 (see pic).

Does this mean something has gone wrong and it's spoilt? 🫣

20231010_095044.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TheWarren said:

Hi guys,

I've got a Larger in the fermenter at the moment, been in for 11 days now. OG was 1038, I checked the SG 4 days ago and it was 1008, I just checked again now as I was about to start cold crashing and it was 1000/1001 (see pic).

Does this mean something has gone wrong and it's spoilt? 🫣

20231010_095044.jpg

Can you post the full recipe, just want to make sure all of the necessary ingredients are there.

It sounds way too low but there could be an obvious reason.

Did you have an active krausen?

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

After taking a gravity reading I pour the sample into a glass and put it in the fridge for a few hours. When it has cooled to a favourable temperature I taste it. You don't have to cool it before tasting it but this also helps the yeast to settle to the bottom.

I smell it first. If it smells alright I taste it. If it tastes alright I bottle it (provided I have already established that fermentation has finished).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Can you post the full recipe, just want to make sure all of the necessary ingredients are there.

It sounds way too low but there could be an obvious reason.

Did you have an active krausen?

Cheers

Phil

The ingredients were:

1 lager tin

1kg brew booster 

150g Carapils grain

12g Hallertau hops steeped

Saflager S23 yeast

Yes there was also an active krausen.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kegory said:

After taking a gravity reading I pour the sample into a glass and put it in the fridge for a few hours. When it has cooled to a favourable temperature I taste it. You don't have to cool it before tasting it but this also helps the yeast to settle to the bottom.

I smell it first. If it smells alright I taste it. If it tastes alright I bottle it (provided I have already established that fermentation has finished).

Thanks for the info. 

It smells like beer, haven't tasted it yet though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheWarren said:

The ingredients were:

1 lager tin

1kg brew booster 

150g Carapils grain

12g Hallertau hops steeped

Saflager S23 yeast

Yes there was also an active krausen.

What temperature did you ferment at, have you got temp control? Lagers should be around 11-15c but slightly higher is OK, otherwise it will not be a true lager.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

What temperature did you ferment at, have you got temp control? Lagers should be around 11-15c but slightly higher is OK, otherwise it will not be a true lager.

Yes I have temp control.

Pitched at 18c then chilled to 12c. After 5 days I rose the temp 1c per day until 18c, which is where I'm at now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheWarren said:

Thanks for the info. 

It smells like beer, haven't tasted it yet though. 

Hydrometer readings are variable according to the temperature of the sample. Hydrometers are made to show a specific reading at a specific temperature. Many hydrometers come with a chart that shows corrections for readings at different temperatures.

• Like 2

Just now, Kegory said:

Hydrometer readings are variable according to the temperature of the sample. Hydrometers are made to show a specific reading at a specific temperature. Many hydrometers come with a chart that shows corrections for readings at different temperatures.

Ahh thanks. Did not know. I'll dig out the paper that came with it.

• Like 1