Coopers Community

Flip top Bottles leaking CO2?

toolman01

Has anyone had a problem with new Mangrove Jack's 750ml flip top bottles leaking carbonation?

I have a bunch bottled 22/7 that are flat as

The crown top bottles in the same batch are all fine 

I am thinking that these full hat type seals may be better.71XLDhs9pUL._AC_SX522_.jpg.549c3e00bb73738c915fa40243ed2065.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, toolman01 said:

Has anyone had a problem with new Mangrove Jack's 750ml flip top bottles leaking carbonation?

I have a bunch bottled 22/7 that are flat as

The crown top bottles in the same batch are all fine 

I am thinking that these full hat type seals may be better.71XLDhs9pUL._AC_SX522_.jpg.549c3e00bb73738c915fa40243ed2065.jpg

I have sold all my Grolsch bottles, I used them for years, but I now keg so I didn't need them. The silicone seals shown don't last very long, the rubber ones are far superior.

They are a very tight fit & work very well.

Rubber_seals_large.webp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toolman01 said:

So the rubber ones seal better, not so much bothered about how long they last.

Will try and find some rubber ones to try

If there is not a tight seal that would explain the flat beer. Some people don't realise when you are bottling with the swing tops you have to ensure that the top of the lid is parallel to the bottle as when you pull the clips down, so it doesn't end up on an angle.

The other thing is I have only used the genuine Grolsch bottles, so the MJ probably aren't much chop.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

I haven't tried MJ's bottles but after reading here about someone having similar issues I got some of those in @Classic Brewing Co's picture from Grain and Grape. I used them on my Grolsch bottles on a batch I bottled in June and I haven't had any problems with the seal, the carbonation was still good last week when I tried one.

3 minutes ago, toolman01 said:

Have ordered some rubber seals.

If Grolsch can ship beer all-around the world with rubber seals, then that must be the way to go!

The Grolsch bottles actually come with a silicone seal but according to reports they don't stand up to repeat uses, whereas the rubber ones can be re-used successfully.

15 minutes ago, toolman01 said:

I am thinking that the standard silicon seals are too hard and the rubber should seal better

The MJ bottles are very thick and heavy so i reckon that they are worth keeping

Yeah, it is definitely the silicone seals, when you think about it, Grolsch present your beer in these & they never expected them to be refilled.

This was the first time that I had used these bottles.they should be long lasting bottles as they weigh 610grms without the top.

Have also got some of those top hat type silicone seals coming to try, they list them as high-pressure leak proof seals.😉

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, toolman01 said:

This was the first time that I had used these bottles.they should be long lasting bottles as they weigh 610grms without the top.

Have also got some of those top hat type silicone seals coming to try, they list them as high-pressure leak proof seals.😉

Report back, let us know how they go.