Coopers Community

Dates on LME cans

Kegory

I just received my latest order and I'm curious about the dating conventions on the LME cans. The hopped extract cans all have a Best Before date, that's pretty straight forward. But the unhopped malt extract cans have what I assume to be the dates in an xxx/yy format similar to the format on the yeast packets.

IMG_20230811_161934135.thumb.jpg.b2dc0a26368837527b91b9c3ff4b6676.jpg

Am I reading that information correctly, e.g. 012/22 means the malt extract was canned on the 12th of January, 2022?

Bonus question: if yes, why are the hopped and unhopped cans using different dating conventions?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kegory said:

I just received my latest order and I'm curious about the dating conventions on the LME cans. The hopped extract cans all have a Best Before date, that's pretty straight forward. But the unhopped malt extract cans have what I assume to be the dates in an xxx/yy format similar to the format on the yeast packets.

IMG_20230811_161934135.thumb.jpg.b2dc0a26368837527b91b9c3ff4b6676.jpg

Am I reading that information correctly, e.g. 012/22 means the malt extract was canned on the 12th of January, 2022?

Bonus question: if yes, why are the hopped and unhopped cans using different dating conventions?

The first number is the day of the year.  And the second number is the year.  So 012 is the 12th January 2022.  123 is the 3rd May 2022.

Great question about why the hopped versus unhopped cans are labelled differently.  I have no idea why.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes I noticed this while I was doing extract and think I was told the real  reason.

The best before on pe hopped extract kits was because of bitterness fading over time. 

Un hopped doesn't matter so only needs a made on date. They both however still become darker with age and higher storage temps.

I cannot remember the source of this when I brewed extracts so awaiting clarification or correction myself 🙂

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Yes I noticed this while I was doing extract and think I was told the real  reason.

The best before on pe hopped extract kits was because of bitterness fading over time. 

Un hopped doesn't matter so only needs a made on date. They both however still become darker with age and higher storage temps.

I cannot remember the source of this when I brewed extracts so awaiting clarification or correction myself 🙂

Thanks @Uhtred Of Beddanburg. I hadn't considered that bitterness would fade. I know about hop fade but I thought that was only the flavours and aromas.

Earlier this year I bought up all the "old bottle" Coopers longnecks I could find. Some of them were over 2 years old. I've had quite a few Coopers Greens that were over 2 years old in the weeks and months since then. I couldn't discern any fading in the bitterness, but I've also read that people can't discern different levels of bitterness less than around 4 or 5 IBUs.

I think I've still got a couple left. Maybe I should do a Taste Test Challenge on the over 2yo Coopers Greens and the under 2yo Coopers Greens.

7 hours ago, Kegory said:

Thanks @Uhtred Of Beddanburg. I hadn't considered that bitterness would fade. I know about hop fade but I thought that was only the flavours and aromas.

Earlier this year I bought up all the "old bottle" Coopers longnecks I could find. Some of them were over 2 years old. I've had quite a few Coopers Greens that were over 2 years old in the weeks and months since then. I couldn't discern any fading in the bitterness, but I've also read that people can't discern different levels of bitterness less than around 4 or 5 IBUs.

I think I've still got a couple left. Maybe I should do a Taste Test Challenge on the over 2yo Coopers Greens and the under 2yo Coopers Greens.

Unless someone else has an idea that's my understanding of it. Like anything storage conditions play a part to how much would fade in X amount of time.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Vincent said:

Shamus is correct. 012 refers to 12th Jan. This type of sequencing is called Julian date coding and often used in the food industry.

Sure. But why the different formats on hopped and unhopped cans?

• Like 1