Coopers Community

Whats going on

Hey .. as the experienced ones said to me, it can take up to 48 hours to notice any activity, but just because there's no foam (krausen) doesn't mean there isn't any activity.

Same thing happened to me, boom 2nd day I come home and it's going off like nobodys business, and it seems like the fermentation took around 48 hours for me, its near the final reading already, but i'll keep it in there for another week or so.

patience my friend, some yeast will explode, some wil show very little signs of activity, these are 'indicators' but not really a guarentee of fermentation... your Hydrometer is the only thing that will confirm fermentation..

pitch yeast. wait 3-4 days, take a sample. wait 3-4 days, take a sample...

Patience is a brewing skill that is almost as important as sanitation.

patience my friend, some yeast will explode, some wil show very little signs of activity, these are 'indicators' but not really a guarentee of fermentation... your Hydrometer is the only thing that will confirm fermentation..

pitch yeast. wait 3-4 days, take a sample. wait 3-4 days, take a sample...

Patience is a brewing skill that is almost as important as sanitation.

My yeast was very quiet for a whole 36hours then boom when I got home that night it had exploded and was in full swing [biggrin] . My stout is tasting great.

Just looked again in the FV and it appears that the krausen is starting to happen see what it is like in the morning so looking promising now sorry i freak out a bit only my second brew just did all the hard work sanitizing etc and was hoping it doesn't get infected etc will be more patient hopefully by the morning it will have a lot of krausen :)

It may not even have a lot of krausen. As mentioned above, some brews don't have much activity at all and others are like a volcano. Just leave it until Saturday and if you see no different then take a reading. If it is the same as your OG then action needs to be taken. If it is lower then leave it. If it is higher I would be wondering WTF because you haven't taken a reading properly.

It sounds like it is underway now though. [biggrin]

Woke up this morning to find a nice head of krausen was a major relief i must say I was getting worried thinking if the yeast isn't working it might be prone to infection etc really was worried but all good today next tuesday it will be in the FV for a week i will take a reading then I was going to leave this brew in the FV for 2 weeks before bottling

I have been asking a lot of questions learning more and more i have become obsessed with brewing lol. However money has been a problem of late so haven't had the chance to do more brews that i would of liked so far so good first brew turned out great second brew seems to be going along nicely now so fingers crossed there will be many more will be putting another brew down as soon as this one finishes hoping i can do my dark ale or stout if my local brew supplier has them otherwise will be making a sparkling ale my favourite of the coopers range of commercial beer.

When money was a problem in the early 80's that was when i started homebrewing, i went with what i could afford even if it was a kit and a kilo of dex ( back then it was kilo of sugar [pinched] ), i was still making drinkable beer and plenty of it. I am making a basic brew for my next one, a coopers can of goo and a 1kg can of some aussie supermarket malt, the experiment continues [biggrin]

Archived