Coopers Community

sludge in bottle

Pigpen

As i was drinking one of my bottle irish stout today i noticed a lot of settlement in the bottom of the glass that poured out of the bottle. I am new to brewing, this was a gift from my wife and i have really enjoy it, love the beer but not sure if the settlement is a infection. The stout set at a fg of 1011 has been bottle for about a month now i live in florida so the temp never gets below 18c. I have drinken several of them and not seen this before in the other 6 or 7.

If it was an infection you would taste it; they generally aren't pleasant to taste.

More than likely you stirred up the sediment from the bottom of the bottle and poured this into the glass.

If it tasted OK then it should be fine. You probably just had yourself a Hefe-Stout.

BTW - welcome!

Yeah Hairy wouldn't be far from the mark. Most likely unsettled the sediment from the bottom or it could possibly be the last one that was bottled so maybe picked up a little of the trub.

No problems though. That stuff will put hair on your chest and lead in your pencil [sideways]

Archived