Coopers Community

Coopers Kit Yeast

brada7

Hey Brewers,

I'm use to being at the mercy of seasonal temps and my yeasts were pitched between 22-25 degrees sometimes brewing out at 26 (yikes)and they do so very agressively. Now that I have got myself a brew fridge and want my ales down at 20 degrees, is the yeast still going to be effective? I have a couple of Nottingham ready to go for some heavy stouts I want to put down, but what about a basic kit with a kilo of malt, will the kit yeast go ok at 20 degrees [pouty] .

if you can manage it, go even lower, 18 is great, 17 is great too, 16 will ferment slower but produce a cleaner beer, lower that that I wouldnt go. Pitch in low 20's... say 23 and lower to 18 after 8-12 hours or so.. (this is to ensure a good budding phase where the yeast are multiplying but not yet fermenting)

Notto is a hungry beast, make sure you have plenty of head space for your heavy stouts. it may get messy [lol]

Yob

Erm.. from memory down to 16 but I'd have to check that, and will when I get home, also, add hops if dry hopping when within 10 points of expectrd fg. Notto is a great yeast for english beers and throws lovely Esters, last time I used it was a dark ale with fuggles and EKG blend to 1.5g per litre

Are you using a coopers fermenter? Old style I mean? Of so, when it bulges out, remove the gladwrap and Quilckly scoop some oit with a sanitised ladel and reseal pronto, wouldn't advise a lid and airlock.. very messy indeed.

Lower temps is no guarentee of a 'clean' non explosive ferment but will certainly reward you in flavoir profile.

Yob

Another way is not to brew at full volume to start with. Then top up when the krausen collapses' date=' but well before fermentation has finished (about 3 days after pitching yeast)[/quote']

is that with cooled boiled water Bill? Dont want to add oxygen at that point yeah? [cool]

Archived