Coopers Community

Mash or steep?

DylanI

Hey all

I'm sure I'm not the only brewer out there that is working their way up to full grain brewing via the steeping route. For me, as for many, it will be a long time before I get to the point where I make an all grain brew.

When I make beer now, I always steep some specialty grain to give me more control over my brew, and assist with head retention.

I am quite sure that I'm not the only person who has asked questions about steeping grains vs. mashing, and walked away reasonably confused. Like many-a-brewer before me, I understand that chemistry is the difference, the thing is, I just don't care.

I just want to know what grains I can use to steep to assist my extract brewing. I stumbled upon the following site which has info on which grains can be steeped vs. those that have to be mashed. It even splits the grains up according to their colour, which I thought was pretty handy.

I'm sure I'm not the first to do so, but while I'm at it, I would highly recommend the brewing spreadsheet by "ianh" at the Aussie homebrewer site. This is a great spreadsheet that can be used to design recipes (and includes a list of 'steepable' grains). Click this link to download the spreadsheet.

Enjoy, I hope this helps.

-Dyl

alot of people have started this way mate, and indeed I did too, the spreadsheet is great for stteping grain, when you want to step on up download brewmate, also free.

The thing about going through the steeping curve is that it teaches you about the fundamentals of extracting goodness from the grains, however, steeping isnt as criticall importand when it comes to temperature as all the enzymes are essentially denatured in the mallting process and all the conversion of starches to sugars is already done, mashing grains is this process and the temperature you do this at is critical in making the beer you want.

a low mash at 64 will create a much drier beer than a mash at 67 for example. Mashing can get quite complex but you (to begin with) need not know all the factors and still make good beer.

If you are already steeping then you are 3/4 the way to doing AG brews and I for one say jump into it [lol]

Yob

edit: as the next step Id suggest a partial with your favorite recipe that you can do in your sleep, along with the grains you steep, get about a kilo of grains and mash them as well.. as its a well worn recipe the difference will stand out like dogs nu** and that will be it... some of the best beers Ive ever made have been partials... and really is what tipped me over the edge to all grain brewing... in fact Im drinking a Coops APA partial now and it's freakin awesome [whistling ... and dont forget the hops!! [bandit]

I see so many people go to all grain only to find its too time consuming. I have a mate who has done 2 brews all grain in 2011 and not another since October, he has spent alot of money on equipment that doesnt get used, yet he used to pump out some brilliant extract beers but now it seems he cant be bothered.

In summer i am usually very busy so i go for extract brews, in winter when i have a little more time i steep some grains and make up some brews that take me around 4 to 5 hours to commit to.

I believe you really need to want to and or have time to commit to all grain before you jump into it at the deep end. BIAB interests me and i may go down this path next winter, not so time consuming and the brews are right up there.

Horses for courses and each to his own [biggrin]

Thanks for the link to the grains for steeping and mashing. [cool]

I found the time commitment, when adding even spec grains to kits, to be similar to that of an AG brew... mate, some people just lose interest and are happy to buy beer [crying]

Including clean up, I can do a 23-25lt batch in just on 4-4.5 hours, from having cold water in the HLT to filling the cube and washing the equipment..

For me it's not about the time, it's about the beer, I quite enjoy the faffing about.. sometimes I do things not in sequence knowing it will take longer and enjoy that too... I know that if I mill the day before, set my HLT up on a timer I can be mashing in at 8am and finished by 12 including cleanup... not a significant time investment... mostly I choose not to because I love the whole process and the faffing about that comes with it[lol]

I also enjoy a good parma, but I dont wolf it down just to be done with it but take my time to enjoy it..

at the end of the day it's a hobby and whats beter than spending time doing something you enjoy?

I admit that AG isnt for everyone and my opinion (or technique) may have to change to suit the variables in my life, ie, kids planned etc, but Im damn sure I can make the time.

and I'll be buggered if im ever going to become a regular at dan freakin murpheys ever again..

I swore to myself that I wouldnt become one of those AG snobs who push people toward AG either, as I say Its not the call for everyone due to many life variables.. I know that before I bought my house I had nowhere near enough space to do so, in fact it was when I got serious about brewing that I got serious about buying a shed.. er I mean house [lol]

for me there is no turning back and I hope the info here helps some people decide if it's for them or not..

IMO though, time shouldnt be one of these factors, space is far more of an issue, as said, For me turning a Kit into a delicious brew involved just about as much time as a full AG.

Yob

Yob my time is consumed with photography (i have won international awards for this) hiking in the bush (i am an experienced bushman) driving in the deserts and exploring new places (i am an experienced Alpine guide and offroad driving instructor) Then there's my music, i play every day [crying] If all i had to do was brew beer as a hobby then that would be great, i havent the time to do it, having said that i can still make a cracking extract brew [love]

We each have different lifestyles and Dans is great for me because i can pick up a mixed 6 pack work out what i like and work on it as a brew [bandit]

I am taking 48 bottles of homebrew on holidays with me in march, i am taking my cameras a guitar and some recording gear, how many people get to combine so many hobbys with only 24hrs in a day [lol]

Brew up lads whatever it is you want to do and whatever style you want to partake in, just enjoy your hobby and brew good beer.

I can't really add much more than what has been said. I BIAB in a 40L Urn and am currently working to reduce my time doing so. I stared at 6.5 hours now have it down to 5 and I know I can get it down to 4 if I mill the day before.

As for expense: you can be AG brewing for less than $50 + ingredients to get setup with a 19L Big W pot a bag and your stove top. That is about the cost of 1 carton of cheap commercial beer. Too many people think it is very expensive when in fact it is not at all. However, it can be but depends how far you want to go and how much room you have.

I suggest starting with the 19L stove top job then if you like the results start thinking about what you want to do then. If it is not for you then you can always return to K&K and use the items you bought for hop boils and grain additions so you have lost nothing by giving it a go.

Archived