Coopers Community

Which of these finishing hops for the English Bitter Kit?

DavidP30

Note: Cross Posted, original is in wrong forum (Beer Banter) mods please delete other thread. New boy mistake, this is just my first post, well second if you count the stuff up.

I'm planning to put down a batch of English bitter with some finishing hops added to the batch.

By the time I'm ready to go I should have Goldings, Saaz, Tettnanger and Hallertau varieties at hand.

What combinations of these should go well with a darker heavier beer (that I might be putting 500g of brown sugar into as well)?

If the brown sugar is a huge mistake please warn me about that too.

I would agree with Yob and Hairy in that Goldings for the English Bitter as I have just done one of these a few weeks back (Extra Smooth Bitter). You can use fuggles but Goldings is recommended. i used the Hallertau and Hersbrucker hops for my Strong German Lager and a Pilsner with sazz hops is in teh pipeline.

when I do english beers and dark ales for SWMBO I often use a combination of EKG and Fuggles... she loves it... now to do her an all grain version [lol]

oh and english style yeast helps too, Windsor or Nottingham are perfect, note though that windsor is a medium attenuator, not that ive had this happen, and will finish a bit higher than Nottingham.

Yob

Archived