Coopers Community

Sediment

aeskola

Just bottled my first batch. When I got to the bottom of the Coopers brewing container there was a lot of sediment there. Is this normal? Should I have been stirring up the batch each day to incorporate this sediment into the beer? Please advise.

This is called trub which consists of dead yeast, protiens and other by products of the fermentation, it is completely normal and should not be bottled.

Yeast when finished fermenting flocculate (clump together) and fall out of the beer. Also normal.

Cheers

It is perfectly normal and you don't want to stir it up.

When it has dropped to the bottom it is called the 'trub' and is mainly made of cold-break material and yeast and possibly hop matter.

Generally, you want as much of this to compact on the bottom because you don't want it in your beer.

And if you spend a few hours looking at yeast strains trying to pick the right one (yes, I can picture you laughing now) the strains are graded whether they are highly flocculent or not or somewhere in the middle. It may not be desirable in some beers. I personally don't mind. Yeast is good for you, after all.

Rather than start a new topic about trub or sediment I thought I'd jump on the end of this one.

Just after some advice/reassurance - I added some gelatin finings to a beer in my FV last night - it's been in there for 12 days and I'll bottle tomorrow or Tuesday. I made the mistake with this brew of pouring most of the cold break and hops matter into the FV, so it's been pretty pea-soupy the whole way through.

As you can see from the photo (albeit not that clearly) the sediment seems to be clumping together (presumably due to the finings) but remains in suspension.

Will it drop of its own accord over the next day or two, or should I give the side of the FV a good whack to assist? Or am I going to be drinking this brew through my teeth.

I should add, I have no fridge, so can't CC.

hte9me.jpg

How did you add the gelatin?

Has the clumps only came since you gelatin it?

Everyone I know rack their beer onto it when it has reached OG. Personally I put the gelatin a keg then rack the beer onto that and hit it with the Co2 to carb.

I reckon it will be fine. The clumps should drop out but I wouldn't know the time frame for this.

Apparently a good whack will help things drop away. Nevertheless, if you are going to whack it then I'd do it now so it will have time to fall.

In short, give it a whack then leave it for a couple more days and it should be ok.

How did you add the gelatin?

Has the clumps only came since you gelatin it?

Cheers Bill. I mixed a teaspoon with a cup of very hot, but not boiling tap water in a sanitized pyrex jug, let it cool a bit with a gladwrap cover and then pouted very gently into the beer. The clumps are definitely a reaction to the gelatin, but seem quite buoyant.

I'll give it a good thump now and bottle on Tuesday I think.

Just an update - I did give the FV a good whack, though didn't notice any resultant acceleration of the sediment dropping over the next few hours. The next morning (approx 36 hrs after adding finings) there was less sediment, and it mostly seemed confined to the the top 3 inches of the brew.

After reaching FG (6 days prior) I'd let the brew come up to room temperature (about 24C) - as an experiment I thought I'd see what happened if I reduced the temp as much as I could overnight. I put the FV in a baby bath (sorry baby) and added 2 bags of ice, covered with wet towels, placed a big block of ice (2L) on the lid and let it all melt.

So whether this helped or not, I have no idea but the remaining sediment seems to have dropped - the ice was in direct contact with the thermometer strip so I'm not sure how cold it got, but I'd be surprised if it was below 12-14C.

Anyway, after 14 days in primary, today is bottling day - wish my antique bottles luck!

Good luck Phil.

Just remember though when you Gelatin your brew it can become cloudy again after movement but a few hours later it should settle out again. i.e. when you moved the FV to the 'baby bath' it may have been possible to upset it but it would have come right not long after.

Glad things turned out ok. I haven't try whacking it yet as I have never had the need to. [unsure]

Archived