Home brew Lager Failed First Attempt

Hey,

I have recently tried to make home brew and I went for the following:

Coopers Australian Lager

Brew Enhancer 1kg

OG: 35

FG: 13

This was left for a week and was 13 two days in a row at around 21C

I then bottled using 50cl bottles using 1 carbonation drop and left for 2 weeks at around 18C. The beer is ready tomorrow but I tasted it today and it tastes almost flat and not the best taste in the world.

I tested the final gravity and it still reads 13

Hi Craig

To my knowledge lagers need more time in the bottle to condition so I wouldn't necessary say that its ruined. It just might need some time that's all. Did you use any carbonation drops. To brew a lager you need patience. I'm planning on doing one this wk. A "strong german lager" Dark Doppelbock style beer. Give it a month then try another bottle mate.

Even though Coopers say you can drink that lager kit after two weeks you really can't.. it just isn't ready. It needs at least a month. It will definitely be flat after two weeks, it will be more carbed up after a month, and even more after 6 weeks.

Craig, the Coopers Lager kit comes with an ale yeast so thankfully you are looking at ale conditioning times and not lagering.

1 carbonation drop in a 50cl bottle won't give it a lot of fizz either. It will carbbonate but it won't be overly gassy. Just give it a bit more time.

not the best taste in the world

Sorry I can't help you with this one. I am not a fan of Coopers Lager with BE1. So if you are like me, the taste may not get too much better.

It will stilll be drinkable though and you will stilll polish them off without too much trouble.

As Hairy said, 1 carb drop and left for 2 weeks at "around" 18C isn't enough.

OS Lager [pinched] there are better kits imo but I guess you might as well use the one that comes with the kit.

TBH I don't know why they include the Lager in the kit. I reckon they should put something at least half decent in there. [rightful]

• 1 month later...

Hey, people. Sorry I have been absent for a while. It looks like the beer still tastes crap tbh. It has been a while now since doing it, 3 months +...I think.

I think the next batch is going to be set above 18C using a belt. My beer did drop below 18 for one night, could that have killed the yeast in some way?

Thanks again.

Hey Craig!

So after 3 months or so the taste still bad ? but has some carbonation or none at all ?

For carbonation as Hairy and Bill said u might have gone a bit too low.

But as for taste it might be good to give more details from the day you brewed it till the day you first tasted it. Yeast pitching temperature, Wort temp @ pitch, bottling method, etc.

Havent tried the Lager kit myself Im about to in a few weeks and I kinda wanna know what to expect, even tho ive tweaked the recipe a bit.

Best of luck. Happy brewing!

Archived