Coopers Community

How to encourage particles to settle?

Trusty1

I thought I'd share this old bushman\u2019s trick which is used to settle tea leaves in the Billy when making tea.

Tap (or slap) the side of the fermenter when FG has been achieved to assist in making any particles drop out of suspension.

It really works! Use this in conjunction with cold crashing for a few days and you'll get the clearest beer ever (without additives).

Guaranteed!

how long are you cold conditioning for? and at what temperature?

Yob - if you're asking me, I tend to go at about 0-1/2C for as long as I can stand to not bottle/keg - usually 2-3 days, or otherwise depending on my diary!

hmmm, when rinsing yeast I note that it usually takes about 3 days to fully settle, (Food Fridge temps) clearly the longer left at low temps the better and more compact it will be. I generally leave mine from a Sunday to a friday.

But if I do get some floaties I will smack em good[lol]

yeast is a micro-organism. unless you filter your batch, like the commercial breweries do, there will pretty much always be more than enough of the little sweathearts to carbonate your brew in secondary fermentation.

this slap method works great when you do things such as add unrestrained (or is that uncontained?) hops to the FV [wink] !

I can pour all the way to the bottom of a bottle with little to no yeast sediment neing disturbed, as bill says, purely asthetic but even so, I've found the beer to be much clearer and the yeast in the bottle to be less and more compact

Yob

I find the bottles that have been the last to fill have been a bit cloudy, but it really does'nt bother me. Just like when you buy coopers in the bottle and they ask you if you want it rolled or not.

I will give it a try as I have been dry hopping the last 7 brews. I use a mesh ball I bought from the tea shop and a little bit of hops from the pellets get through the strainer.

I dont mind it though

Archived