Coopers Community

Flowers V Pellets

brada7

You need to use more flower than pellet... ummm... dont quote me on this but I think pellet to flower is about 80% less...

cant remember the actual figure sorry but this will get you into the ballpark..

Yob

I have not used flowers but I have heard that flowers should be added at 1.5 times the amount of pellets. I am not disputing what Yob says on this topic though as he has a nice garden and would likely no more than me about flower power [love]

I think I remember a previous thread where it was discussed & common opinion was you would need a third more (by weight) hop flowers to pellets.

I asked this at my LHBS & they said 40g of pellets will give the same results as 40g of flowers [crying]

Think it comes back to experimenting & personal preference.

flowers and pellets are used in the same fashion but (I had to go and find this topic) have a read of this TOPIC over on AHB.

10% More Flowers than an equivalent AA% Pellet...

Thaks for the codos Bill.. they are all first year plants but I note that Im going to be getting some POR Flowers andalso some Chinook Flowers... probably enough to cram into a Pint glass or two [lol]

You could also chop up your flowers with a blender or a coffee grinder to improve their utilization. I've done this with some wild hops that I hand picked from a friend's garden. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, though, but my logic dictates that more surface area = more goodness extracted.

You could also chop up your flowers with a blender or a coffee grinder to improve their utilization. I've done this with some wild hops that I hand picked from a friend's garden. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes' date=' though, but my logic dictates that more surface area = more goodness extracted.[/quote']

no need, the boil will extract the acids/oils.. all chopping them up will do is make them harder to strain out depending on your method.

Yeah, I suppose it won't make much of a difference when you're doing a long boil, but I'd say that dry hopping might very well benefit from the increased surface area. And if you're going to use a muslin bag anyway (like I always do), you might as well give it a try.

Or I could just be talking out of my ass. [biggrin]

Archived