Coopers Community

This Yeast Is Taking A While

brada7

Would appreciate some advice please. I have brewed a number of times and normally use the yeast that comes with the can. For some stupid reason I used a different English Ale yeast that I brought last week. Its a two can Coopers in 18 litres. I use the glad wrap method. A lot of crap sitting on top of the brew but I think that might be the 40g of hop pellets that have floated to the top because I cant see any bubbling. Is it possible the yeast has failed?

Thanks Muddy. My Hydrometer is crap,its highest gradient is 1040 so mine would have been above that. The estimated OG using an online calculator shows 1064. You think I should take a reading now or wait a bit longer?

[biggrin] Don't worry, its happening. The planets have aligned over Brew Town. Cracks have appeared in the crust and white foam is coming through and I hear motion.

Glad I didnt panic last night and throw more yeast in otherwise I wouldnt have learnt this valuable lesson. Sorry for wasting anyones time.[joyful]

Yeah, don't worry about wasting people's time. If you have a query or concern then post it and we all try to help.

I always waste people's time with my banal posts. Actually, most people ignore them so I don't really waste anyone's time (except my own).

I think it will be worthwhile investing in a new hydrometer, especially if you are brewing those bigger beers.

A decent hydrometer is a necessary tool for a brewer.

Archived