Coopers Community

Flat beer

JohnF18

Hi John - It depends on a lot of factors but generally it takes 1-2 weeks if stored above 18C.

Carb drops aren't really suited to 500ml bottles. They are recommended for use at the rate of 1 per 375ml (2 if you are using the 740ml coopers PET bottles) so your beer will probably be undercarbonated no matter how long you wait.

Thanks for the info, the bottles came part of a coopers starter kit and it advised that one carbonation drop was sufficient, unfortunately I have just taken delivery of another 24 500ml bottles , how much priming sugar would you suggest I use?

Who recommended 1 drop per 500ml bottle?

Whoever it was they are wrong unless you want an under carbed beer.

Not that I use drops anymore, but when I did, I used to do Grolsch's (400ml?) and assorted 500ml bottles with 1 drop and found them to be fine after a month or 2... but I think I like mine a little under reccomended volumes.. ie: ales volumes = 2.2 - 2.4 where I find I like volumes at about 2.0.

Just my 2c, but I think it all comes down to preference and as time goes on and especially if you get into bulk priming, this issue sorts itself out quickly.

Yob

Who recommended 1 drop per 500ml bottle?

The UK distributor prefers to supply 500ml bottles with the DIY BEER kit - I'm told it's a very popular size in UK and Europe.

Still keeping the bag of carbo drops with the kit, we figured that one carbo drop per 500ml bottle seemed about right for the typical carbonation levels UK ale drinkers are familiar with. [sideways]

Thank for all the help gents, as you can probably gather I am new to home brew, so appreciated all the information, shall try bulk priming next time,

Thanks again

By the way I prefer well carbed cold beer,[happy]

Archived