Coopers Community

More n00bie brewing questions

GarethB1

it was ok and crisp but very fruity and yeasty for a lager

It will be a bit fruitier because an ale yeast was used. Depending on the temperature, ale yeasts tend to accentuate the fruity flavours.

If you want it to taste more like a clean, crisp lager then use a lager yeast and brew it around 10-13 degrees. A decent period of cold conditioning will also help.

If you are using an ale yeast, try to brew at a low ale temp, say 16-17 degrees. This will limit the fruity esters generated.

though difficult when first starting, I found beers left for 8-12 weeks had fully developed and were not the same beer as those I drank at 2-4-6 weeks.. I took the frame of mind that I would have to continue buying beer for about 3 months while creating a stockpile... once the 3 months was up Ive rarely bought a carton of beer since... that was 2 years ago!!

Having a good stockpile allows the beers you are doing today time to develop while you are making your way through the ones that have been there a while, eventually it sort of ballences out and you are filling bottles just emptied and the rotation continues.

Ahhh Brewers Bliss [w00t]

.. I took the frame of mind that I would have to continue buying beer for about 3 months while creating a stockpile...

Having a good stockpile allows the beers you are doing today time to develop [w00t]

+1 Yob.

I also adopted this tactic. My first 3 brews are now over 3 months old, I tried to stockpile them but sampling and sharing leaves me with less than 20% left [innocent] . However I have an almost full compliment of my Coopers Draught, having only sample 2 stubbies at 1 month and 2 months. This one is ready to go next week [love]. Because I have been brewing continuously since September I will have a selection of brews turning three over the next month.

One question, do you stop brewing continuously and just fill up your empties as they become available [pinched] . I guess I should stop collecting empties, that might help [rightful] .

hell no... I try to brew every week... I do have rather a large collection of bottles though, both clean and yet to be cleaned... If I catch up to myself on emptys I just haul another few crates up to the shed and clean em... I wouldnt stop collecting bottles till you have about 300+ or so.

In saying that though I tend to have a pretty good ability to drink my way out of a jamb[lol]

Yob

I did my second batch this evening, the Unreal Ale.

I mixed the ingredients in 3 litres of hot recently boiled water.

And *insert expletive here* I had the temperature at 30 degrees celsius when I'd filled the FV up to 23 Litres - too hot again!

*more expletives*

The wife watches on in bemusement as I'm running around getting damp towels to bring the temperature down.

Within about an hour and a half, I think I'd got it down to 24 degrees with the help of wet towels drapped over the FV and a large iceblock placed in the FV.

I had to drain some of the wort out to bring it down to 23 litres after adding the ice.

Currently about four hours later the temperature is still on 24 degrees but I think I can get it down to 22 soon.

Will the initial high temperature again result in a beer that isn't as good as it could be?

(Probably a rhetorical question).

I do love the look of this beer though. Darker than the lager.

Please keep the sage advice coming, I appreciate it. The more I'm doing this the more I feel I need to do what seems right and listening to the advice rather than trying to slavishly copy the Coopers instructions to the letter.

Hrmmm I could have sworn I advised I only use 2 Liters of boiled water. The boiled water is only to help disolve the sugars and goo. Don't be afraid to reduce the recipe amount provided you can still disolve the ingredients.

I wouldn't have bothered draining off the wort. If you put ice in it you might as well kept the beer as well. It wont be any more dialuted than with the ice anyway.

Many times I have pitched my yeast at or around the 26C mark and have brought down the temp asap afterward with no bad effects.

The initial high temp in this case will be fine. It wasn't high for long which is the main thing. If you can get it to 22C degrees and although lower would be better, it will be a vast improvement to your last batch. You should taste a big difference with regards to the off flavor thrown at high temps.

Don't stress, 22C isn't that bad at all.

I suggest next time using only 2L boiled water and as Hairy said, keep a few liters of chilled water in the fridge to use and pitch the yeast if the brew is in the 20's and you are able to get it to low 20's within a few hours.

You'll have no probs, I am sure.

lol you'll even wonder why you didn't do it before. It certainly saves all the worry. [rightful]

Hi BillK

Yes, I went with what the recipe said - 3 litres of hot water - and not your advice, won't be doing this again. 2 litres is plenty. I get fixated on the recipes too much, gotta go with what works in practice.

The chilled water in the fridge is a great idea. I'm space poor when it comes to the fridge, but will try and fit in as much chilled water as I can when doing my next batch.

The other thought I had is we're having some hot weather here in Perth, Western Australia, as usual at this time of year. Days where the temperature is 35 odd degrees, going down to mid-20s at night, without adequate air conditioning... doesn't help.

If possible maybe just 2 x 3L soft drink bottles left in the fridge from the night before. That should be heaps to keep things down a bit as you only need about 15l tap water then.

You can update your location by clicking your name at the top left of the screen.

Hi BillK

The other thought I had is we're having some hot weather here in Perth, Western Australia, as usual at this time of year. Days where the temperature is 35 odd degrees, going down to mid-20s at night, without adequate air conditioning... doesn't help.

Hey Gareth

Keep working on it till you get a process. If you ever move to boiling hops you may start at a 2 litre boil but the higher the quantity of water (at SG 1.040) the better the results. My last brew was a 4 litre boil which had to be added to the FV.

BTW I added my ice after the 4 litre hop wort, I had 24 from ice block trays and 3 from 1/2 cup containers. From 21 litres topped up with chilled water, no need to overshoot, although I know what you mean I had to add an extra 1/2 litre to my ESVA.

Archived