Coopers Community

Using white king for sterilization

white king cannot be considered a No Rinse Sanitiser. Without things such as boiling 3 times over 3 days, Autoclaves, Pressure cookers etc. It is difficult to actually achieve sterilisation. What we do as homebrewers is more Sanitisation.

For this most will agree a prop. product such as Starsan (I use this) or Iodophor are the market leaders.

Cleanliness is number 1, you cannot sanitise without being clean, Then you want a No Rinse Sanitiser such as those mentioned, seriously it is so cheap it's unbelievable, 1.5ml per litre, Im not even half way through a container after almost 2 years... and I waste/use alot of it...

here are a few links worth listening to.. The Brewing Network.

CLEANING

Sanitation

and for the hell of it Repitching Yeast

Please give it some time and come to understand the differences etc. The sanitation episode was the one that sold me on Starsan and Ive never looked back.

This is one of the comments i found "Unscented bleach is all I use.

Use it with cold water, then rinse with hot.

Dry in the sun to get a bit of UV going and its done.

I started only after running out of the commercial stuff I had and read up that it could be used.

I will prob continue to use as I can not tell, smell, taste any difference and most importantly - haven't lost a brew using it.

Each to their own - maybe I'm just used to the chlorine in the normal tap water here in Brisbane.

Don't use it on my bottles though - Sodium Metabisulphite on those. Thinking about it now don't really know why...

Cheers" But I will try using the proper stuff and bleach will let you know the results.

Use it with cold water, then rinse with hot.

Thus making it Not a No Rinse Sanitiser, I personally like the idea of having a sanitiser that kills bugs and Im comfortable with that thought.

Im not saying that you MUST use a No Rinse Sanitiser and many people swear by vinegar and such other alternatives.. I do not.

Im not saying you will get an infection, many do not.

as said I like the thought of a No Rinse Sanitiser, the other good thing about starsan, for me, is that it nutralises the Alklinity of the Napisan I use for cleaning..

Shortly I will have almose pure Sodium Perc and my cleaning and sanitation regime will be complete.

Cheers

edit: my mate swears by cooked tomato for breakfast, I cant eat tomato's..

just sayin that just its what your mate does, doesn't mean it what you must do, first the research then choose what level of protection is right for you and your brewery and the resultant beer. More info and options cant hurt.

[bandit]

just sayin that just its what your mate does, doesn't mean it what you must do, first the research then choose what level of protection is right for you and your brewery and the resultant beer. More info and options cant hurt.

[bandit]

I thought i would ask and get some opinions I might try out the no rinse for the moment i have bleach i live a bit away from town so next trip in I will get some of that stuff you were mentioning roughly how much does it cost?

i use milton tablets non rinse steriliser for baby bottles etc just chuck 8 tabs in with 16 litres water and fit lid and slosh it around a few times drain half through tap pour other half out top and away u go and leave airlock in there for a bit while sits.

but im sure ull find the easiest way for yourself enjoy x mas all i

Just recently ive been looking at ways to reduce my footprint, using loads of water is one of the things ive been focused on.. I 'used to' do the whole fill the fv thing, now i use 2 liters of boiling water in a fv with napisan a bit of shaking amd the boiling liquid strips the fv clear of organic material, i then use 200ml or so of starsan to neutralize the alkaline napisan, total water just over 2 liters. This will soon become even cheaper when i get my pure sodium perc... $52 (or so) for 25kg, from what i understands 2 spoons to clean fv..

Happy days.

Not sure about those tablets but i serious doubt it can compare price wise with that outlined above,

But hay, horses for courses amd of you are happy with your process then there is little reason to change, me though? Im always looking to do things different and improve or streamline.

Yob

Just recently ive been looking at ways to reduce my footprint, using loads of water is one of the things ive been focused on.. I 'used to' do the whole fill the fv thing, now i use 2 liters of boiling water in a fv with napisan a bit of shaking amd the boiling liquid strips the fv clear of organic material, i then use 200ml or so of starsan to neutralize the alkaline napisan, total water just over 2 liters. This will soon become even cheaper when i get my pure sodium perc... $52 (or so) for 25kg, from what i understands 2 spoons to clean fv..

Happy days.

Not sure about those tablets but i serious doubt it can compare price wise with that outlined above,

But hay, horses for courses amd of you are happy with your process then there is little reason to change, me though? Im always looking to do things different and improve or streamline.

Yob

It is all a lot to take in for a new brewer even the little info pamphlet thingo under the cap of the of the brew tin with the yeast states using unscented bleach I thought i would do my homework before i stuff my brew up glad i could come here and ask for advice the brew is going well at the moment but still lots of learning to do however I will go to my local home brew shop when im in town and i will see what they have to offer and for a good price the main reasons I brew myself now is 1. a hobby 2. save on the price of beer and 3 enjoying my own brew hehehe :)

And their aint nuffin wrong with that mate... It is a method, but by no means the only way, its great that you are asking the questions early on. Perhaps the way i go is little extreme but i really dont think so, many end up at this sort of level of santiation.

Yob

And their aint nuffin wrong with that mate... It is a method, but by no means the only way, its great that you are asking the questions early on. Perhaps the way i go is little extreme but i really dont think so, many end up at this sort of level of santiation.

Yob

I am a person who likes to do something right the first time still can't wait to see how my brew turns out few more days before i check it with the hydrometer i can see its fermenting nicely by the looks temps are stable around 19 degree's but with sanitizing you can't make a mistake or your nice precious brew will be ruined :( so i thought better ask some guys who know what they are doing and have done it for a while I must say kind of hooked on this site and brewing reading tonnes off the net realling interesting I must say :)

Thats the spirit mate, before long you will ne teaching me stuff, most addictive hobby i ever tried.. And though it's hard to believe it was 2 years ago already...

If it wasnt for people out there answering my questions i wouldnt be making the beer i am now.

Cheers to all, best hobby ever

Yob

Thats the spirit mate, before long you will ne teaching me stuff, most addictive hobby i ever tried.. And though it's hard to believe it was 2 years ago already...

If it wasnt for people out there answering my questions i wouldnt be making the beer i am now.

Cheers to all, best hobby ever

Yob

Yeah its a very interesting hobby it can't get boring plenty of different recipes different fermentation processes lots to learn each brew will result in different results looks like i will be out of the mrs hair a lot lol make her happy that my beer isn't costing me a fortune lol

Archived