Coopers Community

Over-gassed bottles, advice please

BarryD2

HI guy,s new guy on the block looking for some help /advice put down for fermentation 07 -12 -11

[roll] [roll] Bottled it on the ninth tried it on 17th really frothed when opened ,then 2 Bottles blew up last night what should I do ? leaveit down for another week maybe!

2 days to ferment is no where long enough. Your beers were not finished and now they are fermenting in your sealed bottles which is building up Co2 and BANG.

Did you take gravity readings before it was bottled?... if so, what were they?

Whatever happens I would say your brew is dangerous and will be nothing like a beer. Throw it out and start again. [crying]

well I would have left it about a month before trying it. but sounds like its over carbed or wasnt fully fermented. Need me details of the brew. Gravties' date=' ingredients etc.[/quote']

Thanks for such a quick reply Shamaya! I put an extra kg of Malt in the mix tastes fantastic but ###

Sorry Barry I disagree, it is not over carbed it just didn't finish fermenting. 2 days is not long enough. See my post above and be warned that the rest of your bottles will explode, there are no ifs or buts, THEY WILL.

If you want to keep them for whatever unbeknown and insane reason then put a towel over them or wrap them up in glad wrap and don't let anyone go near them and have 000 on your speed dial just in case.

What Bill said.

Did you follow the instructions on the tin? I mean, they're pretty straight forward.[lol]

there's instruction on the tin?? [annoyed] [bandit] [rightful] , im all good with it till it says ferment at those temps

[whistling

....what should I do ?

First up Barry don't get disheartened. You copped a little bit of flak here but at the end of the day you stuffed up your own beer. Hopefully you have heeded some of the advice and tossed the brew out and started a new one. I can understand your eagerness to get started and how you probably only skimmed through the instructions.

Patience is a vitue and 12 days in the FV seems a long time to wait, however I reckon you should do that and also wait at least six weeks before starting to drink your beer, 2 months if the ABV is over 5%. To help pass the time I focused on building my bottle collection, drinking cartons of coopers long necks and trying different craft beers such as LCPA, James Squire and Fat Yak. As well as getting bottles I also got ideas on what style of beer I wanted to produce. I am about to bottle my ninth brew and still have 6 long necks of my first brew (14 weeks in the bottle) and all but 2 stubbies of my fifth brew which is two months in the bottle.

I look forward to hearing of your successful bottling operation in a couple of weeks and then hopefully a post on how good your beer tastes after several weeks bottled.

Geepers... sounds like memories of one of my mum's ginger beer brews... the old fashioned style, way back when I was a little feller...

One hot day there was a series of explosions from the laundry... and lovely ginger beer flowing out the door... [crying]

Archived