Coopers Community

Ginger beer

Snags

Hey guys,

Bottled my ginger beer 3 days ago, can't wait to try it!

I noticed in the "How to brew" section it says can be consumed cloudy or bright. Does this mean it can be drunk straight from the bottle?

Cheers, Mick.

I only ask because every Ginger beer I've had is cloudy.[roll] I don't know what a 'bright' ginger beer would be. [lol]

And no, I don't drink my beer from the bottle, as I don't like the 'bite' you get from the yeast when it mixes through.

I was just wondering if the yeast taste was noticable drinking from the bottle with the Ginger beer, so I suppose I'll just try one, as you say.

Haha.

I'm just starting to dread how many schooner glasses I'm going to lose come X-mas!

I thought, at least the non-beer drinkers can drink their GB from the PET's, and lower the casualty rate of my glasses! [lol]

Mind you, if it tastes funky, that idea goes out the window! [pinched]

Our Ginger Beer tends to present itself in the glass as a cloudy brew, regardless of how carefully it's decanted off the lees. So, the comment about "serving it bright" is misleading and looks like a "cut-and-paste" error from another recipe [pinched]

I reckon it's the sort of bevvie that lends itself to being served in a high-ball glass - save the beer glasses for real beer [wink]

On the subject of Coopers Ginger Beer, I'm about to start my very first one. In the How To Brew area, it calls for 1kg of raw sugar. I have a kilo of Coopers Brewing Sugar on hand [80% destrose, 20% maltodexrine]. Would this be suitable to use?

George, as with all our beer kits, we suggest they are made to the recommended recipe in the first instance.

However, you can use Brewing Sugar if you like - will produce a brew with slightly less alcohol and a little more body. [biggrin]

George, as with all our beer kits, we suggest they are made to the recommended recipe in the first instance.

However, you can use Brewing Sugar if you like - will produce a brew with slightly less alcohol and a little more body. [biggrin]

OK, thanks. Is body something that is a good thing in ginger beer? Until recently, home brew ginger beer kits were not available here in the States.

In the next three or four days I'm gunna have a second go at Ginger Beer (probably add a little more ginger and bring the LDM up to 500grams from this recipe here: http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&m=16143#post16143 )

What's the best temperature to brew the Ginger Beer yeast with? If ditching the cap yeast, what's the best dry yeast to use?

ChrisK- Ive just completed a GB kit with 100gms fresh ginger and the skin and juice of a lemon using 1kg dex.

I tried the first bottle 2 nights ago and I must say it tastes brilliant....... the only problem is that I have 20 or so soft bottles!!! not a single one has any carbonation what so ever.

I used the coopers carb drops the same as previous GB kits but for what ever reason no fizz at all.

10 days in the bottle is usually not enough time for GB to have enough fizz. A shake may speed things up a bit but probably not enough by the 25th. [sad] But you could add a dash of soda water in the glass to give it some fizz [biggrin]

• 1 month later...
In the next three or four days I'm gunna have a second go at Ginger Beer (probably add a little more ginger and bring the LDM up to 500grams from this recipe here: http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&m=16143#post16143 )

What's the best temperature to brew the Ginger Beer yeast with? If ditching the cap yeast, what's the best dry yeast to use?

I cracked this on Saturday and compared it to one of last year's GBs. This year's rocks it. More ginger it is.

Archived