Coopers Community

Too high temperature?

PärL

Hi!

My first brewing kit, got it for my birthday a few weeks back. So tried mixing all the ingredients (it's the Coopers regular IPA), adding up water etc. Then I made the mistake adding yeast at 30-32 degrees. It lowered down to around 29-30 after perhaps 10-15 minutes after I added the yeast, and now it's stable at 28-30.

According to the notes, it's not supposed to ever go above 30 degrees. That made me sort of mad at myself, and is wondering: will this brew be any good? What can I think about when botteling this up? Any other suggestion to correct anything I've made wrong?

Cheers.

Definitely too hot. Chill it down. I usually use wet towels to drop a few degrees and ice packs (slight outside scratches on outside of fermenter noted). The potential effect will be more fusel alcohol and a nastier taste. Gradually drop the temps down. I started my first batch at around 21/22 degrees and have been adjusting as required to around 18/19. Occasional spikes are OK. Just keep a lid on things.

As John said it is way too hot. Not just the pitching temp but the brewing temp.

The Coopers yeast is quite hardy so it probably survived the hot temps but the taste will be as John predicted.

Next time try to chill some water overnight and use this in your FV to obtain a more sutable pitching temp. You can pitch at a slightly higher temp, say 24 degrees, and then bring it down to your brewing temps of 18-20 degrees.

If you can maintain some temperature control, your little yeasties and your taste buds will thank you for it.

And welcome to the forum and your new hobby. If this beer isn't the best don't let it put you off. The more you learn about brewing (and the more you brew) the better your beers will be.

Archived