Coopers Community

using sugar lollies in 750ml coopers pet bottles.

deanm7

Hi guys, i started using pet 750ml bottles (coopers) from big w and bottled using sugar lollies , brigalow usually and was doing as instructed, 1 lollie in a stubbie and 2 lollies in the 750. Stored in cool dark place for up to 4 months now.Well, in the first month or two, beer was great, just perfect fizz...all good.Since then every one i pull out, chill and drink is extremely sugary and fizzes all over the place...i even had one explode the bottom out of a plastic bottle, it blew the back out of the cupboard and leaked into a power piont and blew the fuse.What could i have done wrong.I started to go to 1 lollie for 750 and hope is better but i suspect also i may have bottled too soon.any ideas would be great.I am rapidly drinking all the stored ones in case i get another bang...i know,tough prob to have.

Thanks[pinched]

You have bottled before primary fermentation (in the fermenting vessel) has finished or you have an infection.

It's not really possible for it to taste more sweet as the brew has aged in the bottle. However, if it is aged for many months, the bitterness level will drop and give the perception of becoming sweeter.

What was the brew recipe, how long did you allow it to ferment and what was the specific gravity when you bottled?

hi PB2, mate it happened on a couple of brews...the most obvious one was a fat yak clone beer.as follows

1 tin canadian blonde

500 g dextrose

1 kg dried wheat malt

3068 wyeast

12g amarillo dry hopped added just prior to yeast.1st stage ferment lasted about 7 days i think, krausen grew out of top of airlock and went all over floor.moved to another container for 5 more days then bottled.I used 1 sugar lollie in the glass stubbies and 2 in pet bottle 750s.tasted awsome at first, hints of bubblegum etc.i had a glass bottle explode and now they taste like sugar...this one could have had an infection as messy krousen worried me.the stout i made was only 5 days in fermenter in august, i think this one should have waited longer in fermenter, how long is a good time to leave as both were in green zone on my hydrometer.between 1.000 and 1.002.I am still very much learning.I am keen to mix and match kits too, i always do a double brew at 46 liters, always mid strength with only 1 kg dextrose and always hop up with up to 50 grams of hops at 10 and dry....like to play, beers are all nice and hoppy but looking to make my own styles.thanks for your response.I am avoiding bottling now as not sure what happened.

Cheers

Dean, echoing what PB2 said, I don't think your problems have anything to do with your priming or sugar lollies. It is more likely to be an infection or unfinished primary fermentation.

Its good that you use your hydrometer but it could be out of whack. Based on the ingredients you mentioned it is unlikely that your FG should reach 1.000 or 1.002. You should check this.

If it is correct then it may be an infection causing the continued fermentation.

What are your cleaning and sanitation procedures?

hey hairy, thanks mate, I have a new hydrometer since then.The last one did fail on me more obviously.It may however have been starting to go earlier when i made this brew.I use powder sanitiser every time i empty anything, wash thoroughly and now also using a spray of no rinse sanitiser as i go on tops and surrounding areas.If i got an infection i would be surprised but on one particular brew, the stout where the krousen came out of the airlock and through the seal on the lid....possable there.thanks again for advice.

See how you go with the new hydrometer and, if possible, bottle in PETs until the problem is resolved.

You may want to put them in a box with some towels. And keep them some place where an explosion is easy to clean eg. away from power points [wink]

Archived