Coopers Community

Sterilizing Plastic PET bottles

Cuchuliann

Hi does anyone have a good procedure for steralizing the reusable plastic PET bottles? I have some Coopers sanitiser (sodium percarbonate)but it recommends that the equipment be rinsed under hot water to remove the odour - the thing is that hot water is not recommended for the plastic bottles...? any advice?[biggrin]

I usually use iodophor - a splash in each bottle and your good to go (after waiting a few minutes). Use either iodophor or starsan and the process is easy and effective as they are both no rinse.

For my fermentor I fill it with napisan and water to soak off all the crusty bits but as I rinse my bottles with water as soon as I empty them they just need a bit of iodophor.

I should point out we are sanitising with these products not sterilising [rightful]

Throw them all in the fermenter and for the rest I just fill a bottle full of coopers sanitiser and swish it around, then pour it into the next bottle and repeat until they are all sanitised. A bit of hot water wont hurt, just make sure its not enough to melt soften the plastic.

Archived