Coopers Community

US05 Yeast

DanL2

Hi All

New poster, long time lurker on these boards... Have an odd situation on my 6th brew that I thought you all might be able to help with!

Currently have in FV the following:

1x Aus Pale Ale

1kg LDME

250g Dex

15g Amarillo + 15g Cascade (20 min steep)

11g US05 Yeast

to 23 litres

Dry 15g of each hop on Day 4

Pitched Yeast at roughly 20-22 degs, temp has been hovering between 20-23 since. I have no temp control as such yet (lack of room and wife's permission) but my brewhouse is a fully brick outdoor dunny that doesn't get direct sun so my temps usually maintain themselves reasonably ok...

Brew didn't start to foam until about day 2-3, after that I got quite a think krausen. Nothing unusual in that (my toucan stout went ballistic) but since then it has refused to go down like my other brews.

OG was 1042, appears to have fermented out to 1011 on about day 8. Today is day 10 and there is still a dense but thin layer of foam on the top that seems to not want to clear.

I should point out this is my first real effort with both hopping and using anything other than the can yeast

Is this unusual or something that goes with US05? This is my second go at the Aus Pale Ale and apart from the foam layer it smells and tastes great!

Any help gratefully received!

Cheers

Dan

G'day Dan,

I've had similar things happen with US-05 but it isn't the standard scenario for that yeast. Different brews behave differently even with the same yeast.

It doesn't sound like a problem as it smells and tastes good. Personally I'd give a few for days then bottle away as long as you are happy that you have achieved FG.

Thanks Guys!

Still there as of tonight, looks remarkably like the head on a pint of Guinness!

Was going to leave till the weekend anyway to bottle so will see how it goes.

Thanks for the reassurance!

Update: Just bottled today after 2 weeks in FV. Krausen didn't fully disappear but did finally start dropping a couple of days ago.

Tastes good even now, can't wait for a few more weeks!

Thanks again for the reassurance guys!

Cheers

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guy's

First post after looking and reading for a while and brewed up a batch similar to Dans pale ale

1x Aus Pale Ale

1kg LDME

300g Dex

20g Cascade (20 min steep)

11g US05 Yeast rehydrated for 20mins

to 23 litres

Pitched yeast at 26deg and fermented at @ 22deg for 10 days.

In keg and carbonating at present. Inital taste and aroma was good but slightly cloudy, should settle out I hope, might even have a couple tonight to try

cheers

Bazz

Welcome to this end of the woods Barry.

That recipe looks pretty good and maybe even better if it was down around 18C-20C. Nevertheless, still will be a good drop imo.

If you are looking to get a crystal clear brew in your kegs and in a short time frame, then I suggest to CC and use some Gelatin. I never used it previously but have done my last 6 or 7 kegs with it and now I use it all the time. AMAZING!! [ninja]

Paul,

Thanks for the welcome, some very good info on this site

Bill,

Thanks also and will take your suggestion of CC and using gelatine on my Parity Amber Ale from the recipe section that is in the FV at the moment(been in for 10 days at @ 22 deg)

No probs Barry.

What I do is really simple and there are other methods. However:

1/ CC for a few days if you can whether you use gelatin or not. Cold and Time are the 2 major factors that will clear your beer.

2/ Boil a jug and cool about 100ml water to about 70C in a Pyrex jug or similar.

3/ Add 1 teaspoon Gelatin to the water and mix until it is dissolved.

4/ Pour mix into keg and rack beer on top.

This will settle your beer in about a day or less. Just remember though when you move your keg it will disturb real easy. However, if this happens it will settle again within a few hours.

Archived