Coopers Community

Gravity on Coopers Pale Ale

chrisw18

I have had my brew in the for 7 days now, and i took a reading yesterday it was at 1020, and took one today and it went to 1040.

I was wondering if that is not right since i have left it for a week and the gravity still is high?

any help would be great thanks!

The gravity cannot increase, unless you have added something to the brew since the last measurement. Did you spin the hydrometer to ensure there were no bubbles clinging onto it? The measurement was incorrect, so just take another measurement ensuring that the sample has no carbonation when you take the reading. [cool]

Welcome to the Forum Chris.

It definitely isn't right. Either one could be wrong but I would assume it was the 1040 that was wrong. I would check it again.

Gravity doesn't increase (unless you add further malt etc to the FV).

Also, check your hydrometer in water at 20 degrees. It should read 1.000. If not then you will have to make adjustments for it.

Depending on your brew, 1020 still seems a little high after 7 days. What was your recipe, yeast used and temp(s) that you brewed at?

The gravity cannot increase' date=' unless you have added something to the brew since the last measurement. Did you spin the hydrometer to ensure there were no bubbles clinging onto it? The measurement was incorrect, so just take another measurement ensuring that the sample has no carbonation when you take the reading. [cool']

Welcome Chris

+1 for both Hairy and the Biermoasta. In my short time on the forum it seems to me that all new Brewers struggle with taking the SG of beer. In my former trade I had occassion to take the SG of many process samples from Sulphuric acid to mineral sand slurries. To me it appears that a Beer sample is the hardest sample to test and this is due to the carbonation that is mentioned in these posts. I find gently tapping the hydrometer on the bottom of the full tube is better than spinning, I also find that after the initial reading the bubbles form again floating the hydrometer. Until you get a feel for it test the same sample several times times by removing hydrometer and then floating it again tapping it or spinning it. Also let it sit for a while and observe what happens. After a while you will get a feel for what is right and what is not. [cool]

A simple method for degassing a sample:

Over the sink, toss a sufficient amount of the brew to float the hydrometer back and forth between two glasses or cups about 20 times.

This will create quite a lot of foam as the CO2 gas is driven out of the beer.

Leave to sit for a bit as the foam settles and then pour it into the measuring tube. [biggrin]

Archived