Coopers Community

Strategy and hops

Martyn

Hey all,

So, have got the brew fridge up and running a treat. Currently have my 34th brew in it, Heritage Lager plus extras sat at 13c. Was wondering if anyone had a strategy for the temperature? Like 25c in the 1st day to get ferment going then bring down to 12-14c over the next 24 hours and increase to 18c ish towards the end of the ferment to make sure its all done. Or does everyone else do something different?

On another topic, anyone have any problems with their hop plants getting infected and dying? Planted Chinook and Cluster a few months back and they were going great guns but recently have had problems with infection, light green apple moths and white flys. Anyone else have the same kind of problems and know a solution? I was really looking forward to brewing with my own hops in a few months.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Hey Marty,

Can't help on the temp strategy but I can help with your plants.

By the sounds of it the bugs on you rplants are afids. They can create an infection on the leaves by leaving their droppings on them and stopping the light getting to them for photosynthesis.

It also somewhat poisons the plant.

Very simple solution. Go to your local nursery and depending on your personal preference you can get several different insecticides.

Something called White Oil will fix it, you can get it in a spray bottle made up or buy the solution and make it your self much like cordial.

Or

You can get something that is organic and leaves no residual... Meaning once it is dried in a matter of hours you could pretty much eat the pant with no harm.

Very cheap too... It should only set you back about $10-$18. Ask the person to explain it to you if you want but this is what it will be I reckon.

You also might want to check the quality of the soil. Use a solution called SeaSol (basically a seaweed composition that s great for gardens) and get some blood and bone mix. (If you have a dog keep them away from it as they will try eat it and it will give em the runs! Pretty harmless though apart from that!

Good luck.

Ollie

If I am doing a lager I always pitch at 18-20C then bring the temp down to about 12C. If doing a D-rest I will then raise it to about 18C with 3 or so days remaining. Then CC.

It's easy to make your own white oil based spray at home and it's totally safe. All you need is a little vegetable oil and liquid soap. (Dishwashing liquid is fine)

Oil based sprays are very useful in controlling a wide range of insect pests in the garden. Pests like scale, aphids, smooth skinned caterpillars, mites and even young grasshoppers suffocate when their bodies are covered with oil.

You can even use oil sprays to deter the citrus leaf miner.

Here\u2019s how it\u2019s done:

1. In a blender, combine 2 cups of vegetable oil with \xbd cup of dishwashing liquid. (4:1 ratio) Blend it up until it\u2019s well mixed.

This is your concentrate and can be stored in a jar. Be sure to label it and include the dilution rate on the label.

2. To prepare the concentrate for use, dilute 1 tablespoon in a litre of water, mix it well and spray the pest as well as both sides of the foliage thoroughly.

Always follow this dilution rate, because you can burn the foliage if it\u2019s too strong and there are a few other rules; don\u2019t apply it in hot weather and avoid using it on plants with hairy foliage as well as ferns, palms and cycads as this can also cause leaf burn.

Regular applications of this easy to make oil based spray will help protect your plants from many common pests found in the garden.

Archived