Coopers Community

Coopers temp instructions

Soundawake

There is something I've always been curious about.

Along my brewing journey I have learned from doing research (and also the hard way) that when brewing an ale, 18-21 degrees is the ideal temp for a good tasting beer, and anything over 24 degrees you are heading into some yuck territory.

Why then do Coopers recommend in their instructions that 21-27 degrees is OK? It seems to me that Coopers would be turning people OFF brewing when they taste their 27 degree fermented beer and discover it tastes like arse.

I would have thought that it would be better to say 18-21 degrees in their instructions and offer simple advice to people on how to keep temps down, ie with frozen PET bottles etc etc.

It seems to me that Coopers are doing themselves a disservice as when Coopers kits are made to proper temperature they actually turn out pretty good.

Gday mate.

I believe that it is because many kit cans and their included instructions are aimed at the "average joe", to make it as easy as possible to get them brewing. Whilst the instructions in many kits may produce a beer that is below par for being acceptable to experienced brewers, its more aimed at making the process failsafe, and almost impossible for the novice to stuff it up completely.

I think Pistn hit the nail on the head.

Generally most people are just happy that they made beer the first time. Then people go in different directions.

Some give up. Some start researching and begin to understand the process and make better beer.

And some people brew for the sole reason of making lots of beer with the least amount of cost. That is with minimal equipment and minimal ingredients.

The instructions are pretty much fool proof for making beer. It may not taste the best but you made beer.

Or maybe its because the main purchaser of Brewery Kits are 15 year olds brewing beer in their cupboard so their parents won't find out. [biggrin]

When i started brewing over 12months ago i made first batch around 24-27C. after i made it and bottled the brew i jumped onto this site started to read in the how to brew section of all the ingredients and in the method part tells you what temps to brew and approx how long for. I also got advice from my lhbs on how to brew.

So i like to thank the guys on this site for there inputs and helping me along the way with the brew as each brew is getting better and better as i go through my beer journey[biggrin]

I don't have an instruction book here but I believe that Coopers actually recommend to brew to the lower end of that temp range. However, 21C-27C is what most people who have no idea about temperature control can maintain and like Hairy said, are just happy to produce their first brew. They learn and move on from there.

Archived